• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yamaha CD burners?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dragonbud

I'm in the market for an "new" burner and would like some info on the yamahas, i had a 8x4x24 Yamaha which i eventually passed on to a friend. Worked great, thats why i'm thinking of getting a 24 write speed yamaha.

Any other brand recommendations?

Yamaha owners - are you happy with yours? would you get another one?

any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Memorex burner and I don't really like it - it is quite slow compared to other CDRWs. I know someone with a 121032 TDK Cyclone - its really good. He's had it for ages without a problem and its really fast.

Not sure I can be much help, but I'll info dump anyway.

I have a Yamaha 4x4x16 SCSI. It was wonderful for over a year and then suddenly died. It is recognized by Windows, but will not read or write a disk. I have the firmware update, but have not had the chance to work on it.
Since I am looking for a new and faster one I have read a few reviews. The most telling one is at storagereview.com Though I think it is a little outdated, it has some legit gripes about the different technology Yamaha is using in its burners. Since I want SCSI, Yamaha is still the top runner for me. The 8MB buffer is a definate plus. The old one, without "burnproof", made very few coasters and was a quality item(while it worked).
If Plextor had a fast one in SCSI I think I would buy it. I suggest you take a look at their burners. Teac has also had good reviews.

I've got a Yamaha 24x10x40 CD burner and it works great. I haven't been able to burn at 24x yet since the CD's I have don't support that high, but at 16x it takes ~5 minutes to burn a full CD. So far I haven't had any problems burning, everything has worked flawlessly. I'd buy another one.

Good stuff, just what i wanted to hear.
I'm still awaiting a sale on the yamaha's but they do have some nice tdk's 32x10x40x for $119 after rebates, cool looking panel too. Now i'm even more stumped.. lol

Ridenow...................... did you pay Skip that $100 for ur stars to change ??

I have an aopen with no probs ............. my 16x10x40 Plextor died in one week.:mad:

ok I'll explain to you about Cd-writers:
Yamaha 20 & 24X: Very high quality drives, they beat the competition easily when it comes to music quality, slower than ones below, and quite expensive for that speed.
Plextor 24x & 40x: Very high quality drives - 40X uses black cd-tray for less chance of cd errors, but more expensive than others. 40X - $170
Lite-On: very good drives and very cheap too, most popular at the moment. 40X - $115.
TDK: very good drives, but not as popular as ones above.
Mitsumi 32X & 40X: repackaged Lite-on drives - very good, and quite cheap too.

you can expect 48X drives to come within 2 months by the way and they will burn constantly at this speed, unlike the 32X and 40X drives now that start at 20X (plextor at 24X) and then during the burning process gradually increase to the quoted speed.

I've got a Hewlett Packard 9300i that I've had since late 1999. It's never burned a bad CD, and it's still working optimally.

This is the only CD-RW I've owned, but if I were to make a reccomendation based on that, I'd definately say that HP is worth the extra money.

Plextor has the reliability and Yamaha has the name, but my HP has been very good to me.

I have a 24X TDK and my boy has a 40X Plex. The 40X is nice but until the media is capable of such speeds I wouldn't go over 24X. The TDK is nice. AVG: 80min Data CD (3:30-4:30)
AVG: Music (18 Tracks 3:45-4:10).

Also check the various media. Although it says it can burn 24X its not always true. I have found that Memorex and Imations (16X) burn at 24X more than FUGI's 24X rated CD's

Über~PhLuBB said:
I've got a Hewlett Packard 9300i that I've had since late 1999. It's never burned a bad CD, and it's still working optimally.

This is the only CD-RW I've owned, but if I were to make a reccomendation based on that, I'd definately say that HP is worth the extra money.

Plextor has the reliability and Yamaha has the name, but my HP has been very good to me.

HP has stopped making Cd-writers

I do alot of burning, vids, photo editing mostly. My first Yamaha (2100EZ)died after 6 months. I figured it was a fluke so I returned it for another one. It lasted 5 months. Now I realize the I probably burn more in a week than alot of people do in a year but I was really expecting more out of a brand name like Yamaha, especially when you pay the extra bucks for what is suppose to be a quality component. After the second one quit, a friend who also does alot of burning said his Philips had been great, so I decided to try one. It's a PCRW2010. So far it's outlasted the Yamahas,it's faster,and burns the same media at higher speeds than the Yamahas. IMO the Philips is a far superior burner.

Last edited:
I used to have 2 Yamaha SCSI 4X2X6 Drives, I burned ALOT of CDs when Playstation adn Dreamcast were popular. One burner died on me, the other is still burnin, slowly, but its burnin. When I get some cash I will upgrade to another Yamaha burner.

CraxySerge said:
I used to have 2 Yamaha SCSI 4X2X6 Drives, I burned ALOT of CDs when Playstation adn Dreamcast were popular. One burner died on me, the other is still burnin, slowly, but its burnin. When I get some cash I will upgrade to another Yamaha burner.

Way to blurt that out in public! The Federal Bureau of Investigation is currently en route to your place of residence!

I have a Yamaha 16X burner, which is pretty good, but I've never been able to burn at 16X. My friend, ppohio who got the same drive(basically copied my entire system, actually :p ) got his to work by putting it on Secondary Master, while I have mine on slave(to the almighty Pioneer slot load 16X DVD) and changing some other settings.

yeah you should never put a cd-writer on slave, when the hard disk is master to it, ofcourse you will experience problems

My Yamaha 8824 is still running great after a 1.5yrs. In fact my sony burner broke only after 8mos.
I replaced it w/ a plextor 2410.
Yamaha is one of the better brands.

Über~PhLuBB said:

Way to blurt that out in public! The Federal Bureau of Investigation is currently en route to your place of residence!

I am sure his burning was purely for, er, 'archive' purposes. Yeah, that's it!

Well, it's been a few days since this was posted, but I'll jump in anyway. :)

I use a Yamaha 16.10.40. The only problem I've had is that I burn a lot of coasters, and that's because I screw it up. It gets little use here. Backups 2-4 times a month, and maybe some music occasionally. I'm pleased with it, so I would probably buy another if the price was right.

I get confused when it comes to CLV vs CAV, but whichever is slower (I think it's CAV), my 16x is that one. Might be the same for the 24x also.

Yes, my burning was strictly for backing up my original CD's, archiving, and educational purposes. I would never think of breaking a copyright law in my LIFE. :D

lite on is the way to go. Cheap, and excellent quality, I have never had a problem, whereas I've had problems with more "respected" brand names, such as acer.

Back