• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet another general build(no psu/case/extras)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

namrog84

Registered
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16874886

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 ($330-350ish)(although I know its there are cheaper ones, I have read so many incredible reviews about it, I got stuck in my mind, this was THE ONE to get. If someone can point to another (better value, but still awesome mobo, let me know) (this will be to date, the most expensive mobo I'd ever have bought)

Vcard: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) ($350)
(was going to consider the evga 2win, but after further investigation, i think im going to pass, and the 590 will be too pricey)

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz TB) LGA1155($300)
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (12800) ($130)
RAM was only thing I just chose semi at random(based upon newegg reviews)

CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D14($90)
(was considering trying out watercooling but after researching, seems pointless on setup right now)

SSD: Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH120G2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC ($220
(I have over 2TB of regular standard 7200rpm (non performance HDDs)
(just wanted to try out OS and a few things and break into using some SSDs for first time)

$1400 ish total?

$1200(without new ssd)

If anyone could give any advice for better value/performance options. Let me know thanks!

(I might do a lil more price comparison shopping prior to purchase)(even though i love newegg)

Old system:
Abit IP35 Pro
intel quad 2.4ghz (Q6600)
Evga nvidia 8800GTX (I know its old!!) (pci express 1.0!)
some corsair or crucial 4gb (2x2gb) ddr2
Corsair 620HX 620W PSU (keeping for new computer)
Antec 900 case
a bunch of misc other stuff.

My only slight concern was possibly the PSU and better choice in ram/mobo
Corsair 620HX 620W is what I already have.
the 570GTX vcard says 550 minimum, and with a old q6600 using 10W more than new i7. I assume I will be okay.
Although minimal, I am planning on taking out HDDs that I currently have(from 5x 7200rpm to 3x 7200+1ssd)

The G2 Intel drives, while not being bad, are overpriced for what they are right now. They're not considered the "current" lineup of SSDs, but the prices haven't dropped on them yet. For the same price, you can get a much faster SSD. For example, 120gb Corsair Force is the same $229, while offering much better speeds. Just about all manufacturers have 120gb, current gen SSDs for that $230 price point.

As for the PSU, the HX620 will be fine. It's a great PSU, and more than enough for the GTX570.0

+1 on a better SSD. My vote is for OCZ Vertex 2.

That would generally be my recommendation as well (love my OCZ drives), I just haven't been following the whole 25/34 NAND thing enough to know if OCZ got it's stuff fixed.

Although I was a huge fan of suggested SSDs and although you could argue that they are faster.

any of them should/would be faster then what I have. And although stability/reliability of drive could be argued. I have found at numerous sites(newegg+a half dozen others) that the Intel SSD drive consistently performed better(not failing or having issues)(Although I know I should, I only have minimal backup in place)(no plan for raid)
While the OCZ and Corsair seem to be plagued with more issues.(5-15% more) Maybe its just the the people who get the OCZ/Corsair are more vocal but that is why I had chose the Intel.

Or do my above comments only reflect poor implementation of system(stupid users), people who complain, older/earlier revisions of drives? Am I being disillusioned into believing something inaccurate due to the poor statistical spread of reviews/feedback.

Edit: Honestly I am a HUGE fan of OCZ and Corsair, I have and will continue to buy products from them. Don't take this as an insult at them in any way. and in a year, this will all be void anyways with newer components. But I am referring to RIGHT now, whats available and past record(last 12 months)

Back