• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

YIKES!!! close call

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Ok earlyer I took off my PSU so I could get at my slot 1 P-II 350... I was planning to take it out to clean the heatsink off... So I unplugged the fan on the heatsink... Tryed to slid out the chip, but it wouldnt budge... So I sighed... Put the PSU back in and started my PC up... Got make LAN up and running, with the CPU OC'd to 433 Mhz 3.5x124 I opened SETI got that running, opened Photoshop 7 did some editing... and about hrm... 1 1/2 hours later I looked into my case "looking @ the CPU" I noticed a little plug so i check to make sure that it wasnt to close to the HSF "you know it didnt want it rubbing or anything (which I would have heard)" I grabbed the plug then i noticed that there was no ait flow all I said wa "SH*T" and turned off my PC right away...took the PSU out and plugged the fan back in... the heatsink was pretty hot LOL I'm sooooooooo lucky I didnt lose to CPU I wonder what kidna temps it was gettign since it was OC'd ? Oh well I know what I'm never gonna forget to do agian :) hehe "I'm to lucky" :)

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
I just got a gateway to look at (the psu is dead) and it has a 700 MHz Celeron running with no heat sink fan, it uses the psu fan to cool the sink (and they wondered why it died so soon) psu is 90W max all in a book type case

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
I know of a PC that has a fan/heat sink on it accept the the goup between the cpu and heat sink isnt even conneted.. lol i gotta buy some and fix that up soon... its on my moms PC accept i would do it right away but she lives in the next province and i sold that PC to her :p haha its just a celeron 633 9x66 i think :)