• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yippee!! I got my new cpu, but it looks different??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
I just got my new 1800+ back from New Egg, but looks different from my last one. This one’s green, but the one I fried was brown. The new one also came with a cooler looking case badge, and a different box. Can someone tell me why there’s a difference between the two of them? :eh?:

DanFraser

Was the old one brown coz you fried it!? joke...

I know the MPs are green, so maybe AMD have just changed the colour, if it works, dont sweat...

maxima88

My XP that I bought last month is also green.
Guess AMD is trying to make it look nicer.

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
well i bought mine no too long ago(the brown one) but still got the AGOGA stepping. When i first opened the box i new the green ones were newer so i was hoping for one. But i am pleased:)

OP
cyber mouse45

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
Mine says AGKGA. Is that any good??? I know nothing about steppings.

RainMaQer

3D God
cyber mouse45 said:
Mine says AGKGA. Is that any good??? I know nothing about steppings.

Thats the same stepping on my 1600+... from what I was told thats not a BAD stepping... but not the best. They listed them like this: AGKGA<AGNGA<AGOGA .... left to right... worst to best... not worst... but not the best... get what I'm saying? :D

*EDIT*
Heres the links they gave me:

Link
Link

Overclocker550

even the best stepping only OCs about 10% which IMO isnt worth bothering. the celerons overclock like 50%!

NeoMoses

Overclocker550 said:
even the best stepping only OCs about 10% which IMO isnt worth bothering. the celerons overclock like 50%!

Not true, 550. I just got an XP1600+ from NewEgg, and the stepping was AGOIA. I ran it up to 1680 (10.5X160) at default voltage. Temps were 33C full load. I know this chip had more in it, but unfortunately the vid card crapped out at such high FSBs. My buddy (who bought the computer) didn't want to unlock, so that's all the experimenting we did. :(

[nostalgia]
Unfortunately, we're not in the PII/Celly 300A days anymore. Those were the good old days! (smiles as he relives fond memories:) )
[/nostalgia]

Overclocker550

yea, I remember these days too. I actually am using a [email protected](see my sig) and Ill use my 1333MHz athlon, but ill be lucky if it can run at *default* speed. I may have to run it at 1000 to 1250 due to heat and multiplier limitations

HBK216

Registered
A very informative thread :)

I am so ****ed, I wrote down the stepping on my XP1600 but can't find the paper. Is there anyway I could find out what it is without talking that damn HSF off :D