• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

you know how they say

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a1cnolan

they say that in space noone can hear you scream.. so if you got one of those foodsaver vacuum sealer things to seal your entire watercooled rig..would that not make the pc totally quiet?...i mean i know it would be pretty hard considering the psu puts off alot of and you don't wanna not vacuum seal the psu cause it defeats the purpose of this experiment...also what kinda tubing would you have to use for the watercooling rig considering the vacuum would really create some heavy pressure on the tubing.....i dunno...just a thought. if anyone would tell me why exactly this is a retarded thought i would appreciate it since i am neither a mechanical engineer or a scientist. i just thought it was an interesting thought

beau_safken

Ok this is easy...

If you could vacuum seal the entire rig or even parts that had moving parts...It wouldn't work for long.

True if all the air was sucked out there would be no median for the transmission of heat to the surrounding atmosphere. There in lies the problem. If you can't transmit the heat from lets say your power supply to anything where will it go?...To the power supply unit and then the case. The built up energy would sieze the PSU pretty quick. If for some reason it didn't fry on you, I'm sure that other parts would. The reason that some of the vacuum theories would work is because they are intended mostly for space applications. With temperatures between 200c'ish and -200C'ish the parts themselves would be kept VERY cold or VERY got depending on where it was. I think the idea would work if you could seal your non-mechanical parts of a watercooling system...But mechanical parts would either overheat or fry. No air = no median of dissipating heat other than the part itself or surrounding parts.

Good idea for storage though :D

Hope this helps any. IF i'm a little off please correct me

OP
A

a1cnolan

okay so it wouldn't work..yeah i was thinking about it today can't really trust those foodsaver things...but why wouldn't watercooling work and the psu outside the case?too much pressure on the tubing.?

Carnil

You'd need to make sure that the tubing can handle the extra pressure, but it's only about an extra 15 PSI. You'll get some sound transmission through the tubing, some through the cords, and some through whatever the PC is sitting on, but that won't be very much noise.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Bad idea, sorry. Vacuums are used to prevent thermal exchange (such as in a thermos) and would be the worst thing to do to a computer.

If you want to silence something than get bigger/slower fans or researched total submersion with mineral oil cooling.

Carnil

If you're watercooling the system, the insulation effects of vaccuum shouldn't be a problem. Of course, that means you need to watercool every part that produces significant amounts of heat: the CPU, the northbridge, the RAM, the graphics card (both GPU and RAM), the hard drive, the PSU, and possibly the southbridge, sound card, and CD-ROM drive.

Albigger

Carnil said:
If you're watercooling the system, the insulation effects of vaccuum shouldn't be a problem. Of course, that means you need to watercool every part that produces significant amounts of heat: the CPU, the northbridge, the RAM, the graphics card (both GPU and RAM), the hard drive, the PSU, and possibly the southbridge, sound card, and CD-ROM drive.

... individual chips on the mobo (mosfets), etc... you've got the idea

Doc_Skurlock said:
Mineral oil submersion? Explain. I'll research, but please explain a bit more so I have an idea of what to look for.

some people have (not long term, that I know of, but there must be someone) submerged basically everything non-moving in their PC (mobo, PCI cards, etc....) in some kind of mineral oil. basically anything non-conductive (obviously). and then they circulate and cool the oil somehow.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Doc_Skurlock said:
Mineral oil submersion? Explain. I'll research, but please explain a bit more so I have an idea of what to look for.
Just search Yahoo for "Silentium".

The real booger is sealing all of your capacitors to keep them from exploding. This is pretty easy to accomplish with some silicone sealant goo.
Second you have to build a cooling setup and a sealed container that won't let in ANY water/condensation.

It requires alot of machining work, tools, time, and patience. Hence why very few people bother (or stick to water cooling which is easier).