• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your Guide to a cool Processor without any ThermalX Stuff and only Generic Components

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rizge

Your Guide to a cool Processor without any ThermalX Stuff and only Generic Components

Hi,
I've written this guide to a lot of people who like me can't get all these fancy cooling components (AS3,Epoxy,Watercooling,Peltiers,ETC)
Using only Generic Fans and WITHOUT any Thermal Compounds I managed to lower my core Temp
from 63*C--->39*C on maximum LOad on an OC Celeron 1100@1466 @133 FSB @Default CoreVoltage
So let's begin:
First of all buy a good&cheap Heatsink from any shop,rip it from an old HSF,Take it from the retail HSF you bought the with the Cpu or even use your current one. Just get one...we need it(obviously:))
Clean it using Water,Soap,etc and make sure you dry it afterwards
Now you got the option of lapping it using some Glasspaper or leaving it as it is
I didn't lap mine but if you notice that the buttom of your heatsink is not plain then lap it
Now it is time to put it back in its place. IF u have thermal paste use it(very thinly) ,if u don't have Thermal Paste then don't worry -remember that i also didn't and if u have Arctic Silver you shouldn't be reading this =)
Mount it in back in its place (YES, Without the fan....YET) and make sure it fully touches the Cpu Core (IF u have ppga2(Tualtan,Northwood) DOn't worry about using some force to put it in its place but if u are using Amd or an Older intel Cpu (ppga) be careful not to crush the core(Especially AmdXP)
Now it is time to put the fans(YES, 2 Fans are recommended) i used 2 8Cm fans on the heatsink each one of them cooling a half of the heatsink(and one of them covering and cooling the ram)
I Really recommend going with 2 big Fans cause they theoretically cool a lot better than one good brandy fan because There are two motors each one of them spreading mucho of CFMs....
Go with at least 8Cm ones if u can manage to put in 2 12CM ones(quite Hard) then it will be much better
Just put them side by side not above eachother
screw the fans to the heatsink using the normal Screws that the Older fan was screwed by and the nconnect the cables of the fans
Here YOU GO
FINITO
Just as a notice if you like to keep your case Shut then you better buy another couple of Big Fans and put one in Front Down and the Other IN the Back UP just to get the hot air out and to make a good air circluation

PS:
Do it at your own Responsibility
I am not responsible for any damage
It worked Very great for me but might now work THAT great for you
My English is not that great(as i am still a high school student) but it is suffice for me to

write this article - If there are grammar,Content,Etc.. Mistakes i will be happy to receive them

at my Email [email protected]

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too happy with not putting any thermal paste on my chip .Also what where you running that you were getting 63C on a celeron , was there no fan on the heatsink or something.

And to explain that
I am COMPLETELY SURE that i put it right and that everything was alright
It is just that the retail fan that's been shipped with the processor might not be a quality one

And why should i not be happy with 39*C at Full Load(SiSoft Sandra Burning prog. ~1050 passes :) without this silicon
I might get some more temp improvement when i get thermal paste but that will take time

What is the temp sensor with that celeron? ondie or in the socket. Because you may just be cooling the socket area~temp diode etc and the cpu getting much hotter than reported. I mean... i hear smooth penut butter and toothpaste gel is better than no thermal compound.....So somthing just doesnt sound right with no thermal compound at all.

what is the prob with that
the ppga2 has this metal chip and the core
so my heatsink Fully touches this chip so everything is all right
u might mean that those microscopic Spaces are not filled
I really care li'l for that :)

well 39 ° in full load on a 350 mhz overclock is much 2 good, i think. but its not common to use 80mm or even 120mm to cool the cpu, and even 2 of them. i think its possible. but as i got only a slotket on my slot1 mobo, i do not have the room to install something greater than 60 mm :(

hmm, the large metal cap ontop of those intel chips~larger contact area with the heatsink base etc seem to help keep your cpu at decent temps. With most say athlons and the high ghz p4 cpu's you really do need thermal pad~paste etc. The p4 has a thermal protection built in and some of the newer amd boards also so if they get to hot they underclock your cpu massivly so your cpu stays alive. Also you measured the cpu temp was ondie or mobo sensor. Dual side by side 80mm fans would cool the mobo nice but may trick the mobo into thinking the cpu is cooler than what it really is.

I've been into ducting my fans. Pull air from outside case and blow on heatsink. The idea is that much of the noise from fans comes from the proximity of other junk near the blades. Stanped gaurds and heatsink fins are big culprits.
Anyways 120's generally work best, even the cheap ones move alot of air and are quiet. Rare that they need to run full out Good duct material is rigid dryer hose (not that slinky stuff), plastic big gulp collectors cups and my favorite, foam cored matt board.

Basically a duct is any kind of form used to pull fresh air in from outside the case and direct the airflow to where you want it.

You can use card board, a Pringles can ;)(recent usage), PVC tube, flexible tubing.. etc...

im using a pringles tube, its the perfect size for what i needed :D i have a 60mm fan inside it, forcing cool air 6 inches outside the case directly to the heatsink, weird thing is, i dont even have the side on my case, and never will !

I think a funnel will focus the sound a bit and lessen noise also....unless you are where the funnel is directing the sound. Also if you have the fan an inch~few inches off the heatsink you will get less shrouding from turbulence with the fan blades and will let the fan work more effeciently.

Gnufsh said:
thermal paste or pads are very important. Especailly on high-end p-4 s and more especially on athlons.
Ditto especially the Athlon part. I fried one of my tbirds by putting paste on the wrong portion of the heatsink (actually it was the right part-where the imprint was but this particular waterblock mounts with the four bolts and I mounted it rotated 180 degrees. Thus no paste between the block and the cpu-turned the computer on, no post, blam, fried the cpu!

Back