• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your personal thought about 21.9 gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jebediah

I've been waiting for the Predator X34P for several month. And now, month later with reading, youtube clip/reviews i've had second thought about this gaming on ultrawide thing, and if it's the right choice for me.
I play almost all new games and some times i install older games just to get that nostalgic feeling. But some games like Battflefield 4/1, Titanfall 2, Fallout 4, Civilization 4/5 are my favorites and i would say that those games are taking up 80% of my gaming time.

I'm running with 2 980Ti @ 1500/4000 and i have no problems with keeping my FPS on a good level with my 2560x1440 monitor, but some games, even new games, still doesn't support CF/SLI (Titanfall 2/Fallout 4), and i guess one 980TI will have a hard time to keep that FPS on a acceptable level?
And then there's the problem with games not supporting 21.9. I know there's some mods and fixes, but in the long run, is it woth it?

I know there's tons of YT material i can look at, but i need more personal feedback from people that not has been sponsored with a monitor.

If i buy a 21.9 monitor i will only use it for gaming. Maybe some news reading while drinking my coffe, but to 99% gaming.

I would stick to a standard format personally, if only for guaranteed support of the res...

Coming from a 3 monitor 1920x1080 surround setup (I run 4K now), wide screen gaming is great. One 980 Ti drive that setup well.

Many games support wide screen (check out http://www.wsgf.org) without any special mods. The only downside is that you may have "edge distortion" if the title isn't programmed properly (the extreme edges of the image left and right will look "stretched"). Once I got used to it, it didn't bother me.

Also, for just regular computer work, you will enjoy the extra pixels as you can get more on the screen...more open windows.

I think it comes down to your tolerance for screwing around with your setup constantly.

I have moved away from non-standard resolutions (I do use my triples for racing still but support in iRacing is native) and SLI because when I do sit down to game, I don't want to have to screw around to get things to work right.

I think of 21:9 as a productivity thing, not a gaming thing.

For me, 27" 1440p 144htz IPS Gsync is perfect. My 980ti pushes it fine and the screen is amazing. If people tell you Gsync is no big deal... they have not tried it.

I've been running 21:9 for... well over a year. It has tradeoffs, not necessarily better or worse, depending on use cases.

For desktop: I think I'd prefer multiple monitors. Windows does some pretty stupid things with UW that don't happen in a multi-monitor setup.
For gaming: if the game makes use of it, it does add an extra element. I'm driving mine at 3440x1440 with a single 980Ti. It is certainly not ultra-everything capable, but you'll not be disappointed even if you have to drop a little on quality settings here or there. If a game doesn't support it, easy enough to run 16:9 and have black borders on each side.

Personally I want the best of both worlds, and am debating getting a desk big enough to have two systems, one 21:9, one 16:9x3 so I can pick and choose what's best for the situation. I do not have space for that desk :)

TBH the thought of playing RPGs or shooters in 21:9 feels weird to me, or even multiplayer RTS. It feels like a lot of head turning, and head turning isn't optimal. A lot depends on the distance and some on the overall size. For work, I suppose 21:9 could allow three full-sized Word/Acrobat Reader documents, which could have its plus sides.

The only thing I could see myself using UW monitors for would be for graphic design or web development, Where I can make sure the web page displays properly for people who have UW monitors.

I have a predator x34 and after gaming on it, I can't go back to standard aspect ratio. It's just a different experience.

I had 2 dell u2414 24in monitors and didnt like the divided screen. Going back to my dell p2714h is way better. I also have an acer b346c 34in monitor that I like enough better than the dell 27 that is unreal.
I like ultra widescreen monitors- but dont game on them to really be able to give input on that front. the extra real estate is nice

Back