• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your Thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Penguin4x4

Are you my Daddy?
I wanna know what are your thoughts on Cisco buying out Linksys. I think its pretty good on Cisco's part, as know NETGEAR, Belkin, and D-Link now have some pretty stiff competition.:)

RadRacer

I think it's a really good move. Cisco has been hurting for a while because the server market basically crapped itself. The home network is really going to take off even more than it already has with PCs becoming as cheap as they are now.

As far as comparing them to Netgear, Belkin, and D-link, I'm not really sure there ever was any competition. Linksys has been better than all of them combined to begin with.

bafbrian

Oh no Cisco is taking over, again.

I think it is good, all of Linksys' know how is really gonna help out Cisco. Probably there best decision yet.

OP
Penguin4x4

Penguin4x4

Are you my Daddy?
RadRacer said:

Linksys has been better than all of them combined to begin with.

Thats what I was alluding to. Now that Cisco is at the helm, I can definetly see Netgear, D-Link, and Belkin's market share plummet, :D

DDR-PIII

Disabled
that weas last month heh, I think it's a good thing :) The best industrial networking company and the best home networking company :D

Chrisdafu

I wouldnt say cisco is *the* best, but one of them. I took a tour of a local datacenter here in town and the network engineer said the switched from cisco to juniper core routers because the cisco stuff couldnt handle all the load.

frodoski

And that my friends, is why Cisco bought Linksys was for the Wireless networking piece of Linksys. The Aironet wireless stuff that Cisco makes while very good, it is very expensive! Also now it will give Cisco the final piece of the network puzzle...the NIC! Cisco never has owned that piece of the puzzle.

Kingslayer

As long as the Cisco IOS doesn't migrate to Linksys home products then I see the takeover as a good thing. Linksys has been making complete crap for years now, maybe things will start to look up.

I doubt that though, usually with buyouts of this nature everything stays the same and just the name changes.