• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

YouTube Hoses Wifi, Ubuntu 9.10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnz

I'm setting up an old laptop for a child. It's an old Dell, and it's missing the COA sticker on the bottom. Due to that fact, and for virus resistance, I'd like to use Ubuntu. I /think/ I can install XP without activation hassles using a Dell CD, but XP's old and crappy :^D

Anyway, I got it installed, and everything's running well EXCEPT YouTube(Flash). The laptop uses a add on wifi card. It's a Linksys WPC54G V3, and it has a Broadcom chipset. The net works fine, I can browse, update the system, whatever. As soon as I try to watch a video, it'll play for about 20 seconds and the signal drops, never to return. I have to reboot to get connectivity back.

When it loses signal, I can still see the networks, but it won't connect to them. I've tried using the Gnash plugin instead of Flash, but it's buggy, and uses way too many cpu cycles.

Can any of you point me in the right direction for getting this straightened out? This problem's bizarre, and I'm having trouble drawing a connection between events. While I use Linux, I'm not very fluent with it at this point. I'm just an ordinary user as far as skill level goes.

Sir Barton

How old is the Dell? Even though Flash is now officially supported by Ubuntu, its still rather sluggish as it uses lots of CPU cycles. The Flash issues are supposed to be fixed by the time 10.04 LTS rolls out next year.

OP
johnz

johnz

How old is the Dell? Even though Flash is now officially supported by Ubuntu, its still rather sluggish as it uses lots of CPU cycles. The Flash issues are supposed to be fixed by the time 10.04 LTS rolls out next year.

It's kind of old, but not ancient. It's an Inspiron 600m, with a 1.6ghz Pentium M CPU. The CPU cycles using Adobe Flash seemed reasonable. High of course, but reasonable considering the hardware. Gnash used way too many cycles, and sound was borked.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
Well what I would ask is that you download either Linux Mint 7 or Ubuntu LTS and boot from the livecd, install flash and try that without reinstalling.

The reason? I have noticed a host of issues with Mythbuntu 9.10 with regards to online video (obviously Mythbuntu has Ubuntu 9.10 under the hood). I had upgraded but then reverted due to all of the problems it caused

OP
johnz

johnz

Well what I would ask is that you download either Linux Mint 7 or Ubuntu LTS and boot from the livecd, install flash and try that without reinstalling.

The reason? I have noticed a host of issues with Mythbuntu 9.10 with regards to online video (obviously Mythbuntu has Ubuntu 9.10 under the hood). I had upgraded but then reverted due to all of the problems it caused

I'll give that a try. I'm getting ready to step out, but I'll try it and report back. That would be sweet if dropping back a couple versions fixed the problem :^)

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
I have a similar problem with my Gentoo system. Using Firefox 3.5.3 and the latest 64-bit flash, most Flash video players (youtube, ustream, etc.) will stop playing shortly after starting, and break all sound. I have to reload my sound module to get any audio app working again.

Stratus_ss

I should clarify that I only rolled back to Mythbuntu 9.04

I suspect its something with the newest version of firefox and some internal issue but I was only willing to put a few hours into it.

Its a media centre and mostly all it does is run XBMC for stuff I have downloaded so it was more important for it to just work for the family then it was to take the system down for several days while trying to fix the problem

OP
johnz

johnz

You're the man SS!!

I did a real install of 9.04, and 3 videos in it's all solid. I'm gonna play with it some more, but it looks like I'm fixed up. Thanks a lot man; that was a huge help :^)

Stratus_ss

Ya no problem, I actually just ran into this myself on thurs/fri so it was still fresh

Glad I could help