• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

YouTube now supports 8k videos...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

What's the point? There isint a single display device out there that I know of that can display 8k and I am not aware of any GPU that can support it either. Somehow there are 8k videos on YouTube (mostly benchmarking videos), but I am not sure how they exist considering you cannot display that resolution on any monitor and GPUs cant render it either.

TechWizard

There are 8k displays available for purchase.

Rather pricey and not worth it for 99.9% of users at the current moment...

The point? What was the point of 1080p, 1440p, and 4K? Same premise here. It is the future of display technology. Useful for photo editing and anything to do with webpage/UI design.

GTX 1080 Ti can display up to 7680 x 4320 at 60Hz - so you can indeed display this resolution on an 8K monitor.

Suppressor1137

The thing about technology, is that people are realizing really quickly that they can't adopt a new standard like 8k without having a program *or youtube* that can actually utilize it.

Now hardware is playing the catchup game, because a gtx 1080 ti is going to struggle with 8k(gaming). Two in sli will probably be required.

This is why we are seeing massive leaps in the available Vram, because as you increase texture resolution, the size of the files start to grow wildly.

Also, the size of the games are growing massively as well. I think black desert is up to 140 gigs?

OP
S

SPL Tech

yea, 8k! when is the first ever 240 Hz 8k G Sync monitor coming out? They are going to need to invent a PCI-E attachment cable to support the bandwith to the monitor for that. Either that or Displayport version 1.6. nvidia is going to have to invent 6-way SLI to support that. Sounds like it's time to start squeezing two physical processor dies on one GPU board.

Alaric

GTX 1080 Ti can display up to 7680 x 4320 at 60Hz - so you can indeed display this resolution on an 8K monitor.

"Can display". Won't be gaming. And you'll be dropping your settings trying to game at 4k with a 1080Ti. Titan X comes closest for 4k.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
1. 10 series cards support
2. 4k is plenty playable with a 1080ti or Titan Xp. Some titles you will have to adjust IQ, but most titles are plenty playable.

Sounds like it's time to start squeezing two physical processor dies on one GPU board.

Been there, done that.
I don't even think it's new to this century - there was a company (S3?) that started throwing multiple processors on a board way way back, think it was so beastly it needed it's own external power supply too. Will have to find it...

But yeah, I remember seeing about 8K monitors a while ago, it's just the amount of bandwidth required is so large it'll take several hardware cycles before it trickles down to what most people see as worth it.