• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yup I belive its the ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rainz3

Registered
Was tryen my hand at pushing my 1700 just alil further to 149x11.5 at 1.85v(1.9v in mbm) a few minutes ago. Booted and everything was peachy even benched full tests on 3dmark without a hitch. Held a few conversations on aol after that and decided to play a game of Desert combat so loaded up berlin and playen fine and when I started winning the comp froze. Now it didnt freeze like I have seen before. The picture froze and sound studdered and repeated its self. so I restarted put my 1700+ back to default 133x11.5 1.75v and bsod when tryen to boot to windows. turned off the computer and unplugged it let it sit for about 30secs and went into bios and changed my ram to default in which it was at the most aggressive settings and windows booted nice. Then it hit me. I have 1 stick of kingston pc2100 and 1 stick of generic pc2100 ram both 128megs. Do yall think the generic could be holding my kingston back? The last recored temp from mbm was 47c cpu and 25 case. So I think my temps were alright but who knows not going to bother ocen any more or atleast not that high until I get better ram.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
PC2100 overclock to high 140s or low 150s max on average for generics.

If you don't have an nForce2 mobo, you don't have a PCI lock and this may be a problem that's causing your instability.

Put the mobo brand and power supply brand in your sig.

Last edited:

pwnt by pat

This probably should go in memory. PC2100 is 133mhz right? hmm. First If possible, pump up the voltage to the ram as high as your mobo will allow. That will help. Second, drop the multiplier of the cpu. A lower multi will allow a higher fsb by not maxing out the cpu - unless it's multi locked. Third, what's the stepping of your cpu? You might just have a bad proc.

Oh, your cpu should probably be able to do that speed at stock voltage, 1.8 is excessive.

OP
R

Rainz3

Registered
I dont know why I could never remember to put those in my sig lol. The mobo isnt the greatest I know but my 12v rails are good right now 12.34~ and when oced to 1.80v they were 12.20~ and yeah pci lock has crossed my mind but nothing I can do about that until I find someone to buy this comp lol

OP
R

Rainz3

Registered
honestly I have nooo clue what stepping it is. I havnt taken it out since I replaced the mobo since my soyo k7ada crapped out on me and that was about 2 years ago..maybe only 1. I dont know if I can change the voltage for the dimm cause I dont have my manual any more and I cant find it in the bios. I just emailed techsupport so maybe they can give me some answers. Oh and yes it is multi locked as I have tried to change the multiplyer through jumpers but alas no effect :( unless I just didnt do it right lol damn I hate jumpers

[edit] My mistake its 11x multi not 11.5

Tebore

When did you get that chip? If it was about 2 years ago then you've hit the max for you CPU. If you got it 2 years ago it's probably a palomino core which don't go over 1.8 easily and average oc is 1.6 for early steppings.

OP
R

Rainz3

Registered
Man...I cant remember for the life of me when I got it. I have had it for over 2 years I know that. Any program out there that will tell me which core it is just incase? I belive it was when they were first coming out. Know it was still around $140

Mr_Obvious

Hold on, Is that Machspeed V266b A Via chipset board? I believe it is, and as such has no pci lock, and at 149, your pci bus has to be upwards of 40 mhz! Your gonna fry your hard drives and everything else with that kind of pci clock.

OP
R

Rainz3

Registered
yeah its a via and no pci lock atleast to my knowledge. Are nforce boards the only ones with pci lock? And then if thats the case I definatly need to becareful I feel my hd could go at any moment. Thanks though for your help.