• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z170 Extreme6. New build. Wont post, error 99.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

According to asrock, this is a pcie error. I have no pcie devices hooked up. I have literally nothing hooked up but cpu, ram, fans, and power header.
I've been searching for hours, and tried everything I've found, nothing works.
Monitor turns on, but stays a black screen.
Clear CMOS did nothing.
If I hook up a keyboard and press 'delete' when its sitting there, it will go from 99 to Ab (or A6). Still no change though, just a black screen.
Using the onboard video with a 6700k. Tried a hdmi monitor and a dvi-d monitor, same thing on both.

No pcie video card to try out? Check cpu socket for bent pins as well.

Looks like you've tried everything I would suggest. Only thing left is RMA.

I have a video card, I haven't tried it yet though. I was hoping to get it to at least post before I started adding in all my other parts (to make sure cpu/mobo were good).

Gotcha. Well at this point you have nothing to lose if you install the video card. Check and recheck your connections before powering on ;)

*edit*

When you stated you cleared the cmos, how do you do that? Did you remove the cmos battery or use the clear cmos button?

Used the button. Following the AsRock manual, i killed the power and hit the button. I suppose i can remove the battery too at this point.

24pin and 8pin plugs are both plugged in. I suppose i could re-seat them to make sure.

I gotta ask.....why would you hook all that up prior to checking the viability of hardware?

The 6700k comes with no cooler. So i pretty much had to hook it up before powering as I have no other coolers.

- - - Updated - - -

And after hours of reading, it seems like a common problem with the 6700k due to outdated bios on the board. The solution is to swap to a different processor to update the bios. How fun...

As much as I built/tinker....I guess I'm just used to keepin' odds'n'ends around just for troubleshootin' purposes.

Glad ya mentioned that as I am about to build a rig with same cpu and mobo....
Now to find a spare proc around here just in case ;)

I have two other skylake builds with asrock boards, but they're lower end builds for htpc usage. This is my first non-amd high end gaming build, I pretty much sold all my amd stuff whem I decided to switch to Intel.
I could always pull one of them apart, but that means i have to do it when nobody is using them and hope that it works :/
I still havent tried a dedicated gpu, I'll try that before tearing apart two pcs.

Man. I need more sleep.
Alright, im finishing this out with my process of events for anyone else that has this issue.
My main monitor is a 1440p running off dvi-d. The hd 530 doesn't support 1440p through dvi (not a dual link).
After finding that out, i pulled out an old 1200p hdmi monitor. Still no luck (which is when I started troubleshooting everything else).
I finally caved and was about to pull the cpu, so I moved my monitor out of the way. When I went to pick it up the monitor, the hdmi cable was barely dangling in the plug 😨
Reseated it and all is good. Cant believe I missed something so stupid.
And the error 99 seems to be not an error, just what the board reads normally.

If you have a MicroCenter nearby, you can always purchase a lowend cpu just to update the bios on your board, then return it for a refund.

As Luta stated: I'm also a junk collector and try to keep spare parts onhand for these troubleshooting adventures ;)

Welp...that should remind us all about some basic troubleshootin' rules. First...check all connections :-/

Agreed! Dodged a bullet there bro. If the board has posted and on desktop, and the board's LED reads "99" (without the quotes), then that means everything is running normally on the board.

Im only at the bios right now, but it seems to be running fine. Gotta format my ssd and reload windows now.
Im not thrilled with my 40° idle temp though. May have to pull the waterblock off and reseat it eventually anyway :/

Back