• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z170 Extreme6. New build. Wont post, error 99.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pump plugged in?:rofl:

Lol, yeah. I can see the water flowing. May have some air pockets to get out yet too. The front mount vertical radiators seem a lot more difficult to get all the air out that the top mount horizontal ones.

Another Extreme6 question - my uefi version is "Z170 Extreme4 P2.40". Is that normal for an Extreme6 board? Kinda confusing since there's an extreme4 board too.

Another Extreme6 question - my uefi version is "Z170 Extreme4 P2.40". Is that normal for an Extreme6 board? Kinda confusing since there's an extreme4 board too.

Upon closer inspection, it thinks my board is an Extreme4 and not the Extreme6+ that it actually is. This should be fun to update.

Be careful updating the bios! Be sure it's the EX4 and NOT the EX6+! You'll brick that board flashing the wrong bios!

Better double and triple check to be 100% sure!

I ordered the EX6+, the box says EX6+, and the board has EX6+ printed on it. Any other way to verify 100%?

- - - Updated - - -

It has dual bios too, but both show as the Extreme4 P2.40.

- - - Updated - - -

I also emailed AsRock. I'll see what they say before a bios update. At least its working right now.

Yeah I would wait to get the reply back from AsRock. It's a bit confusing that the box, board and silk screen show EX6+, but the UEFI bios shows EX4 :confused:

Yup, I would wait. As you stated at least it's up and running :)

99 should be normal? Id look elsewhere first.

If you didn't already try the PCIe card to see if its the onboard or what.

EDIT: Should have read the whole thread... lol. Glad it was something easy.

As far as the bios thing, go to ext6 website and flash to the latest is my suggestion. THere are instructions in your manual. If you have a dual bios no harm in flashing one bios when you have two.

If its working... get to windows and run CPUz and see what it says about the bios. But, yeah, i would flash it now if you have dual bios.

Im not thrilled with my 40° idle temp though.
Theres always a slight load in the bios.. worry about it when you get to windows. ;)

EDIT2: Last... make a signature with your hardware man. :)

Your board says its an extreme 6 on it right?

99 should be normal? Id look elsewhere first.

If you didn't already try the PCIe card to see if its the onboard or what.

EDIT: Should have read the whole thread... lol. Glad it was something easy.

As far as the bios thing, go to ext6 website and flash to the latest is my suggestion. THere are instructions in your manual. If you have a dual bios no harm in flashing one bios when you have two.

If its working... get to windows and run CPUz and see what it says about the bios. But, yeah, i would flash it now if you have dual bios.

Theres always a slight load in the bios.. worry about it when you get to windows. ;)

EDIT2: Last... make a signature with your hardware man. :)

Your board says its an extreme 6 on it right?

I'll get the sig made as soon as I have it up and running. This is my first gaming rig in about 5 years, its all new for me!

And the board has Extreme6+ printed right on it. I'm 99% sure it's the Extreme6+ board, but it looks like it got the Extreme4 bios. Even the bios number matches AsRocks site for the Extreme4 and not the 6+

I'll get the sig made as soon as I have it up and running. This is my first gaming rig in about 5 years, its all new for me!

And the board has Extreme6+ printed right on it. I'm 99% sure it's the Extreme6+ board, but it looks like it got the Extreme4 bios. Even the bios number matches AsRocks site for the Extreme4 and not the 6+

Flash it with the latest ex6 bios.

Any way you could throw up a screen shot of that? Please?
Sure, once I'm back on a computer. Not sure how to post pics to the site from my phone, don't see an option for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Flash it with the latest ex6 bios.

Assuming I can get to windows...
It wouldn't recognize my ssd. Turns out what I thought was SATA3_0 on my board was actually SATA3_A0. Not sure what that is, but it didn't work.
Putting it all back together...again.

You don't need to flash in windows... do it through the bios. It has an option to do so. Confirmed in your manual.

Read your manual as far as which ports are the primary SATA ports and plug your ssd there.

You don't need to flash in windows... do it through the bios. It has an option to do so. Confirmed in your manual.

Read your manual as far as which ports are the primary SATA ports and plug your ssd there.
Manual doesn't explain what SATA3_A0 is, but swapping to SATA3_0 worked. It recognizes the drive.

And I did the Internet flash through bios. I'm now on the most recent bios for the EX4+. I'm going to try to download and flash the EX6+ bios once I have windows up and running.

Why did you flash your ex6 with the latest ex4 bios??????? Why wait until til after windows is installed? I don't understand your methods...

Your manual shows that the a0 is connected to a third party controller which is likely why it wasn't recongnized. ;)

Why did you flash your ex6 with the latest ex4 bios??????? :-/

The option in the bios for Internet flash does it automatically, there was no option to pick anything.
Once I have windows up though, I can download the EX6+ one to a flash drive and update it myself.

The option in the bios for Internet flash does it automatically, there was no option to pick anything.
Once I have windows up though, I can download the EX6+ one to a flash drive and update it myself.
You shouldn't have flashed to that ex4 bios. You would have been better served to get the right bios on there the first time.

You shouldn't have flashed to that ex4 bios. You would have been better served to get the right bios on there the first time.

He hasn't said he flashed that...said it came that way.
That's the onliest reason I wanted a screenshot ;)

[correction] He originally hadn't flashed...subsequently, the board auto flashed to the newest extreme4 bios. Didn't give him an option.

Last edited:
Back