• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Z390 Motherboard Roundup: 50+ New Releases from ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI, and more

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

October 8th was the release date for some embargos for the new Z390 chipset. And with this date coming and going we saw the major board partners show off most/all of their new lineups. With this brings new naming conventions, new looks, and new features on the motherboards. We'll list the boards from each partner along with any high-level features.

Click here to view the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Asus boards are stupid expensive on the high end. How many bloody versions do you need? EVGA dark is pretty sinister. I like the dual 22110's but kind of wasted with that chipset.

Gigabyte Aorus Master is probably my vote.

Awesome roundup!

Only question I have is it says that the z390 Dark has 4 slots? I thought it only has two?

$600 for MSI's top board? Is that right or a typo? What could possibly make the Meg worth $600?

Looks like one of, potentially, the best overclocking boards I've seen in a LONG time.

Awesome roundup!

Only question I have is it says that the z390 Dark has 4 slots? I thought it only has two?
Fixed.

This was a looooooooooooooooot of data to put together. :)

LMK if anyone else sees any discrepancies. :)

Last edited:
MMMM That ASRock Phantom Gaming ITX/ac is sexy as hell!

I like 2x M.2 sockets on this board. From earlier series I don't remember other ITX boards with 2x M.2 except Supermicro Z370.
Maybe will test my board during the weekend. Right now I have to finish some other tests. For sure I'm counting on high memory clock. ASRock sent me unofficial beta for this board, no idea what it improves over initial BIOS.

EVGA Dark looks really interesting. I'm just afraid it will share similar issues as most EVGA boards.

I mean overall EVGA mobos, not only Dark series. In general problems with BIOS, problems with memory support and OC, some weird stability issues. Pretty much the same issues, mostly related to BIOS, were repeating in most EVGA motherboards since I remember. Good OC results were mostly on special BIOS releases used by overclockers related to EVGA like Vince. I don't think anyone else had really good results on these boards. You can check even our frontpage reviews. I remember that with last mobo were the same problems because of not so good BIOS.
This is also one of the main reasons why you don't see EVGA mobos in competitive OC benching. Even Vince who works in EVGA, multiple times used competitive motherboards if he wanted to break some records. If lower clock but more CPU cores are better option then he always uses EVGA mobos, but many of his results are not on retail products. Many are additionally modified for extreme benching and the same is with graphics cards.

Last edited:
I like 2x M.2 sockets on this board. From earlier series I don't remember other ITX boards with 2x M.2 except Supermicro Z370.
Maybe will test my board during the weekend. Right now I have to finish some other tests. For sure I'm counting on high memory clock. ASRock sent me unofficial beta for this board, no idea what it improves over initial BIOS.

EVGA Dark looks really interesting. I'm just afraid it will share similar issues as most EVGA boards.

Asus Rog Strix did and I'm pretty sure Gigabyte had one too but don't quote me on that. The Strix is the one I was considering getting.

Probably yes, don't really want to browse the web right now but from first available series of ITX Z370, I remember that only Supermicro had 2x M.2. Later were released other boards but I wasn't following all product lists. Anyway, if ASRock Z390 ITX will OC as I wish then will be good to replace MSI Z370 ITX. There is nothing wrong with MSI but ASRock simply offers some more. I only count I will find some time during the weekend.

Here is one photo:

ASRZ390ITX_pht9.jpg

I'm testing ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/ac right now so if there are any questions then I guess I can answer them.

Motherboard has initial BIOS 1.10. I have no idea how it works as I updated it to L1.23 beta after first boot. The only official version available is 1.20 which supports all processors. If I'm right then 1.10 had no 9th gen support. There is also L1.26 beta but I can't see any difference between this version and the L1.23.

Regardless of BIOS, I'm able to boot at auto or XMP settings at DDR4-4500. My 4266 19-19-19 1.40V kit runs stable at 4500 19-19-19 1.40V. No problems with training etc. I had no time to check tighter timings but I couldn't even boot at 4533+ so there is exactly the same problem as I had on MSI Z370 with earlier BIOS. I guess that once BIOS will be improved then this mobo will reach DDR4-5000+. At least I haven't seen any other mobo that could so easily run at 4500.

One more interesting thing, in BIOS are many additional voltages like only for PLL are 5 different settings. There are also voltages to pass cold bug while benching on LN2, separately for CPU and IMC/memory. This is acutally a surprise for me as I wouldn't think this mobo was designed for benching on LN2.

Wow, that's fantastic news Bart.

Assuming that you are correct I'm pretty surprised that a Z390 wouldn't have 9th gen support from initial BIOS since that chipset was purpose build for 9th gen.

Also, DDR4-4500 out of the box is pretty fantastic. I may need to upgrade sooner than later.

Back