• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Z390 Motherboard Roundup: 50+ New Releases from ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI, and more

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I usually say that I will post some photos but I often forget ... here is my ITX PC with ASRock Z390 PG-ITX/ac mobo :)

2.jpg

5.jpg

Sezzy cryorig copper. How are your temps? Any plans to fan swap it?

I was checking with Noctua NF-12x15 ( their top series but 15mm ) and temps were ~3-4°C worse as there was not enough pressure on the heatsink (fan was a couple of mm above heatsink). I could try with some other 92mm fans but I don't have any right now and I just don't think they will do much better job. I'm still curious if Noctua fan will change anything so I will try to test it in some time.

There is no better cooler in this size on the market than the C7 Cu (at least for my case). Cryorig C1 would be better but is about 5mm too tall. Noctua NH-L9 cooler is about 10°C worse (also smaller) and NH-L12 or L9x65 would fit but are about the same as C7 Cu in performance and L12 is also blocking tall memory modules and wouldn't fit with a fan on top.
During typical workload, the C7 Cu is really quiet and I'm not complaining. Max temps on the 8086K@4500MHz on all cores+HT enabled 1.1V in BIOS (depends on load 1.075-1.15V) are about 90-92°C max in stress tests (Prime95 small FFT or AIDA64 CPU/FPU). Max in PCMark 8/10, 3DMarks (with physics tests on all cores) and some games is about 75°C so it's not bad.
Standard settings on the 8086K are 4.3GHz on all cores with voltage going up to 1.25V and max turbo 5GHz (at 5GHz is 1.4V or something near) which is good for marketing but in real it doesn't matter. 4.5GHz on all cores offers better performance overall. I'm able to set 4.7GHz on all cores at about 1.17V (1.15-1.20V depends on load) but it bumps temps by about 5-7°C and once I close the case then it sometimes throttles. I could delid the CPU but I don't feel like I need 200MHz more for anything.

If Noctua or Cryorig release any new compact cooler then I will for sure test it in this PC. Im in contact with both brands. The only problem is that both already have well-performing small coolers and I don't think they will release anything new anytime soon. Competition has nothing better.

Last weekend I swiched PSU from Corsair 450W to Enermax 650W and it was a great idea as temps inside the case are much lower what also affects how other components work. Both PSU are more than enough for this setup (or even stronger) but Corsair was working at 50%+ load most of the time and fan was spinning at 100%. It was also getting hot during work. Enermax barely spins the fan during typical work. Under full PC load can barely hear it out of the case (I was checking with cpu + gpu at 100% load with my ear close to the PSU).

[email protected] on SuperO/Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW. RAM works at DDR4-4000 on this board. Maybe there will be new BIOS which will improve that.
There are also 2x M.2 PCIe and a couple of nice features but most is the same as on competitive motherboards.
SuperO_Z390ITX_res7.jpg

XTU at 5.2GHz as 5.3GHz couldn't pass (on ASRock was the same). Needs better cooling for more.

SuperO_Z390ITX_res8.jpg

At stock it doesn't throttle. The same, OC profiles already bump power limits to ~170W so there is no problem with throttling but at 5.2GHz I had to set higher limits as at auto it was a bit too low. For sure it was improved comparing to Z370 and it's easier to find in BIOS... we still remember the pain during overclocking :) ... also memory works stable at 4000 when Z370 couldn't make more than 3733.
Z390 has new PCB so it's not only a bit corrected Z370. I was checking some additional things and nearly everything is different... not much but still different. BIOS is also new and also really complicated for less advanced users. I don't know why they make it this way. Even most overclockers won't be able to handle overclocking on this motherboard.

Because its more akin to a server type BIOS than anything else, really. At least that is what I recall on the Z370 anyway. People aren't used to that compared to other more consumer friendly boards and BIOSs.

On Z390 it's easier to set some things but there are again many totally useless settings. Good for servers but even in last generations of servers I haven't seen so many settings. Anyway, good to see them improving.

Supermicro/SuperO C9Z390-CG-IW works 100% stable with memory at DDR4-4133 on a new BIOS. This motherboard supposed to work up to DDR4-4400 but I wasn't able to do that on my memory. Anyway if anyone has this motherboard and wishes new BIOS then send me pm (it's not available anywhere on SM websites).

I would like to go for the Phantom ITX or the M11Gene if this last one were available in USA. Like 2 dimms more since I like to Overclock, but with 9900K prices through the roof Im OK now with an X299 OCF + i54 7640X.

Back