• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z4 and Maze 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Istari1

Ok, so heres the deal guys. I can find alot of good info on the Dangerden blocks, but not so much on the Z4 Aqua Block. Anyone know of any links that directly compare these two? Right now I am looking at this system:

500 GPH OC Hideout pump/res. (geeze its expensive...)
DD chipset block
all 1/2 fittings
radiator (undecided, but I have 3 I got from junkyard that look promising..otherwise guess I gotta buy one).

All I'm missing is the waterblock, and I was going with the Z4 for the longest time, but I just cant find any good comparison reviews with it. And now I see this new Gemini block that everyone says is gonna be even better....I just cant decide. I have no use for pelts so thats not a factor either. What do you guys think?

Josh

I dunno. I've bought the Z4 and I can tell you that in it's present form it's not a good performer. In my personal experience, the MAZE2, Dtek Sidewinder, and Innovatek blocks performed much better. To make an informed decision, best to wait until a good waterblock comparison is published. It's very difficult to do a comparison correctly, and consistently, and I would probably go insane trying. Personally, I like my Innovatek block, but I did have to change the fittings to 1/2" hose barbs. The Sidewinder is a pretty good block, but the retention mechanism is a pain. You're better off getting a block that uses the holes in the motherboard for mounting.

I can't speak to the performance of the Gemini. I've heard really good things about the Dtek TC4, but haven't used it yet. Also, the new Swiftech block is supposed to be good too. I think you're better off skipping the pump/res and getting an Eheim pump ( 1048 or 1250).

schoolie said:
I think you're better off skipping the pump/res and getting an Eheim pump ( 1048 or 1250).

Really? I mean that pump/res has 500 GPH output, which is alot higher then any of the other pumps I have seen for sale, even at the petstore. I have heard that usuing a pump in a res. might heat the water up but I havnt seen any facts on this. I also like the fact I can pliug that pump into a molex and it will start with my computer, instead of having a seperate switch. Any idea when the newest WB comparison will be out? Got money burning a whole in my check card and if I know me it wont stay there long, hehe.

Josh

Istari1 said:

Really? I mean that pump/res has 500 GPH output, which is alot higher then any of the other pumps I have seen for sale, even at the petstore. I have heard that usuing a pump in a res. might heat the water up but I havnt seen any facts on this. I also like the fact I can pliug that pump into a molex and it will start with my computer, instead of having a seperate switch. Any idea when the newest WB comparison will be out? Got money burning a whole in my check card and if I know me it wont stay there long, hehe.

Josh

I like the idea of this pump as well. I am looking into my WC options and like the idea of this setup. It would fit nicely into my case as well. I have not seen any reviews on this though. Is this pump and resevoir a reliable system?

The other pump resevoir setup I like is the one from Innovatek. There is a eheim pump and a small aluminum resevoir together, but the pump is not submerged into the water. (see overclockers.com from page for the review)

The DC pumps are loud, hot, and don't last very long. Also 500gph is the flow with no resistance and no height. I'll bet with a block and radiator, you'll see a small fraction of 500gph flow. Sure, it looks cool, but I'd rather have a cool, reliable, and quiet pump.

The Danner/Supreme Mag Drive pumps aren't too bad either, but you have to seal the housing and get fittings for the 1/2" inlet/outlet.

Hope that helps.

schoolie said:
The DC pumps are loud, hot, and don't last very long. Also 500gph is the flow with no resistance and no height. I'll bet with a block and radiator, you'll see a small fraction of 500gph flow. Sure, it looks cool, but I'd rather have a cool, reliable, and quiet pump.

The Danner/Supreme Mag Drive pumps aren't too bad either, but you have to seal the housing and get fittings for the 1/2" inlet/outlet.

Hope that helps.

I understand that the rating is at 0 ft. and such, but isnt that true for all pumps? I mean if I get an ehiem instead thats rated at 300 GPH, then thats still at 0 ft and 0 back pressure. And if I am only going to see a fraction of 500 GPH, then a fraction of 300 GPH is even worse. Correct? I'm not much of a machinist and dont have access to any good equipmnt anymore anyway so altering the pump isnt something I really want to do. Thanks for the info.

Josh

Pumps don't respond to back pressure equally. The Eheim is the most reliable, quietest, and coolest for it's power. If the pump fails, very bad things will happen to your computer. I also highly recommend silicone tubing over

I just made my reservoir from a tupperware container, and you don't need a reservoir if you create a fill tuube with a tee connector. I've wasted a staggering amount of money on bad water cooling equipment. I just don't want other people to make the same mistakes that I made.

Well, I hope that helps.

Back