• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Z68XP-UD3, i5-2500k] Need help w/ overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hoaz

Hi everyone. so, I was looking around for a stable overclock setup for my I5-2500k, arctic freezer 7 pro. Found one that seemed good from this site.
I plugged in the following settings into my system:
4.5 GHz.
"Vcore = NORMAL
DVID = +.050 (maybe +.060 max...but no more for 4.5GHz)(this setting becomes available when Vcore was set to NORMAL)
QPI/VTT = 1.150
PLL = 1.815
DRAM Voltage = MFG Spec (you may increase voltage just by a little from MFG spec)
Timing = MFG Rated Spec" (courtesy of SamSaveMax)

I am currently on the system, so I am not having any outstanding issues. No crashes, no BSOD or anything like that. However, I ran prime95 for 10-15 minutes before I HAD to stop the program.
The temperatures were reaching 90+ degrees C. From what I have read, 85 degrees C is good but no further.

Now here comes the question. I entertained the idea that since most of what I do is gaming, ArmA 3 etc. I figured I'd do a realistic test while actually playing a game. So I did, and reached temperatures of max 64 degrees.
I thought that was stable (for ArmA 3) since it is a CPU intensive game. Now, is it possible to stay at this overclocking configuration or should I 'dial-down' a bit? I figured Prime95 ran an unrealistic test of having your processor
at full-throttle all the time and therefore took the test with a grain of salt. I was looking into getting a new CPU cooler the Cooler master 212 evo which would probably solve the overheating issue.

Thanks in advance.

- H

TJMax for Sandybridge is 98C, so staying below 72c is where I wouldn't go past. Recommended max vcore is 1.5v and that's for benchers. You're good to go with those temps/voltages. If it's rock steady stable, enjoy it ;)

The CM 212 isn't too bad of a cooler, so long as you have really good airflow thru the case to help it along.

What does Vcore=normal mean?
If you set it to auto, that's not "normal". You're overvolting the CPU beyond what it needs. Auto is far too generous.

Please read the oc guide for Sandy/Ivybridge in the CPU ultimate stickies. I have NO Idea why you touched DVID/QPI/PLL... there was no need and you're probably doing more harm than good.

TJMax for Sandybridge is 98C, so staying below 72c is where I wouldn't go past. Recommended max vcore is 1.5v and that's for benchers. You're good to go with those temps/voltages. If it's rock steady stable, enjoy it ;)

The CM 212 isn't too bad of a cooler, so long as you have really good airflow thru the case to help it along.

Hi, thanks. Yeah. I have not had a crash, yet. I will probably run this setup for a week and see how it handles.

What does Vcore=normal mean?
If you set it to auto, that's not "normal". You're overvolting the CPU beyond what it needs. Auto is far too generous.

Please read the oc guide for Sandy/Ivybridge in the CPU ultimate stickies. I have NO Idea why you touched DVID/QPI/PLL... there was no need and you're probably doing more harm than good.
I had to overvolt because the system would always fail beyond a 3.6 GHz overclock (sometimes even then). Therefore I had to touch the DVID/QPI/PLL (but not more than needed for 4.5 GHZ).
Thanks for replying :)

Hi, thanks. Yeah. I have not had a crash, yet. I will probably run this setup for a week and see how it handles.

I had to overvolt because the system would always fail beyond a 3.6 GHz overclock (sometimes even then). Therefore I had to touch the DVID/QPI/PLL (but not more than needed for 4.5 GHZ).
Thanks for replying :)

I tried...

Back