• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z690 Mini ITX Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
Anyone have real hands on with more than 1 of the Z690 ITX boards. I am considering upgrading from the Asus B660I gaming to a Z based chipset. Please discuss what plus/minus I might encoutner. Thanks ahead of time

Outside of the overclocking capability for the processor on Z690, I do believe there is better memory support at the high end (though that only matters if you're really pushing the limits with it). In general, over b660 (there are exceptions), you'll get better VRMs, and better VRM cooling. M.2 socket count and SATA port count should be around the same between 2-4 (SATA) and 1-3 (M.2) - none are PCIe 5.0 (there are only a few full-size with PCIe 5.0). Audio codecs vary (ALC1220 or the latest 4080)...most are WiFi 6E and all have 2.5 GbE. USB port count and type/speeds will also vary.

You'll be limited by cooling far before the power delivery holds you back, so I'd weigh features and specs you want/need more than power delivery for sure.

Hopefully that helps. :)

From good ITX Z690 motherboards, there are probably only ASUS Z690-I Gaming and MSI Z690I Unify. However, right now I wouldn't get Z690 when soon should be Z790. On the other hand, you may wait for 3-4 months until anything will be tested and confirmed good from the Z790 series.
All Gigabyte ITX mobos without Lite/Plus have design flaws (Gigabyte confirmed that, but they're still in stores). I have no idea how Lite/Plus are working, but Gigabyte lowered their RAM support in the specs about a month after release. It may suggest the same, not the best RAM support as in ATX mobos.
ASRock is only average but should work fine.

Giga Z690 ITX is like this...

Aorus Ultra - Initial release wasn't stable when using PCIe 4.0... Giga recalled the board or offered a workaround (setting the PCIe slot to 3.0).
Aorus Ultra Lite - Former Aorus Ultra, but now is limited to PCIe 3.0 out the box. Stable.
Aorus Ultra Plus - A reworked Ultra. PCIe 4.0 works just fine. Stable. What the original Ultra should have been, lol.

...not sure about the memory speed support. I just ran 6000 XMP on the Plus. :)

I was thinking to get the Plus version but they went from DDR5-8000+ (probably a mistake but they made a quite large picture in the features) to 7000+ in a week after release and later went down to 6200+ in the specs and changed whole QVL. This also suggests they didn't really test all the memory kits on the QVL and just pasted them from other motherboards' QVL (this seems common recently also for other brands).

I am going to give the Gigabyte Plus a shot as I have been offered a nice deal for one. I am now going to hope that an EK bsic 240 will keep a 12700k temps in check.
Thanks for the thoughts

Gigabyte is for sure cheaper and except for the RAM support, everything was pretty good on other Gigabyte motherboards as I heard (maybe excluding that PCIe problem in earlier ITX mobos). I have Z690 Master in my gaming PC and it only acts weird with some DDR5 kits, but everything else works great.
My 12600K works well with a single 120/45mm rad so 12700k should be fine with 240mm. I don't recommend overclocking at higher voltages but I guess you can play some at lowered voltages and higher clocks.

for ram I have the Gskill 6000mhz 36-36-36-96 with the Samsung chips. I hope that works well with it. Woomack, would you recommend the Hynix chips over the Samsung's? As I may buy ram for the old board and a lower spec;d cpu for the b660 board

I had problems with GSkill 6000 CL36 on the Master mobo but since then, there were maybe 8 BIOS releases. I also had problems with Corsair and V-Color, so at least on that mobo, there wasn't any rule regarding IC or brand ;)

In DDR4, Samsung and Hynix are about the same. If you want it for benching or overclocking at tight timings then Samsung is better.
In DDR5, Hynix is a bit better because it runs easier at higher clocks, and runs a bit cooler. On the other hand, you won't see any significant difference. Most Samsungs can make 6600-6666 at acceptable voltages so about 1.40-1.45V and quite low timings like 36-36-36. Most Hynix will make 6800-7000 at about the same voltages but timings will look like 32/34/36-40-40 (depends on voltages). Considering that only a few motherboards can make more than 6600 then both, Samsung and Hynix, may give the same results for most users.

Samsung is in many kits at 5200-6000. Hynix is in some brands at 5600-6000, but mainly in 6200+ kits. Manufacturers are using Micron only for lower kits as this IC can't make more than 5600. Hynix goes to the highest clocked and the most overpriced kits. I guess that the required voltage is the main reason for the used IC. On some motherboards' QVL (mainly Gigabyte) you can find Samsung-based kits at 1.55V. However, in stores, you won't find anything at more than 1.40V. This is because higher voltages cause too high temps and instability at higher memory clocks. Usually, you may see it at 60°C+ and 6200+, but at higher clocks, it may already lose stability at 50°C or less. I had no problems up to 7000 and 55°C. My motherboards couldn't run at more than 7000. I could set 6000-6200 with 75-78°C under load. Typically while playing games or doing other things, RAM temps are much lower.

My Gskill will boot at up to 6800 on the ASus B660i, but is not stable at those clocks (yet)
I think I have gone to 1.42V on them at most and temps seem to stay in the low 40s

It's probably a high 60 under load (if there is no additional airflow). This is what I get on most DDR5 kits. Corsair so far had the lowest temps. G.Skill is somewhere in the middle.
My GSkill/Samsung kit was working up to 7000 but the motherboard couldn't run stable above 6800. There was also early BIOS that wasn't the best. I remember that my kit needed quite high voltages to run at 6800 but it could be related to BIOS issues.
Maybe you have seen it already, but here is the thread with some results.

Back