• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Z690 Motherboard Overview: Alder Lake Brings DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 to the Desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, looks like it died after 3h of tests at auto settings ... let's say I have mixed feelings. When it was idle on the desktop (short break between tests) it turned off and now it doesn't even power up.

I guess it works ... after removing the CPU, reflashing mobo, and running it out of the case with a different cooler. Maybe it has the same issue as some MSI that too high CPU pressure causes various problems. No idea. It's my first high-end Gigabyte since the "5 dead Z87/97 in a row" :p For sure there wasn't a short as it wouldn't last 3h, and on the back is a thick backplate.

In general, Z690 Aorus Master looks great but so far I can't say much about the overclocking, etc. I hope that the mentioned problem won't back.

Some more tests and I found out that the mobo issue is related to a too thick backplate which is touching the PC case. There are many points where it can touch the case, I just have no idea where exactly. It's still weird that it started after 3h+ of tests and even after removing the mobo from the case it required clearing CMOS or reflashing. Everything was suggesting something else.

So I started RAM tests with a 32GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5200 CL40 kit:
- Gigabyte mobo has problems booting with my RAM above 5200, sometimes it boots and crashes regardless of timings/voltages
- 5300 doesn't work, when I set 5300 then it boots at 5200 anyway, even though BIOS says it started at 5300
- when XMP is enabled then it overrides manual settings other than the memory clock
- motherboard's memory profiles don't work with my RAM but when I set the same clock/timings manually at 4800/5200 then it works
- at manual settings, the mobo is still overriding some timings
- rank 4 mode doesn't work at all
- I have no idea what voltages are really in use, the mobo suggests something else than I set and usually, it's the default value when in reality is something else; the hardware monitor tab doesn't show RAM voltages

I have no idea if it's an early BIOS issue or they just can't make it any better. This is F5 BIOS so they were adjusting everything a couple of times.

Either way, XMP works without issues. Results are high and there are no problems with stability. CPU related options seem to work fine. It's just that RAM options are not so good.

Edit:
- RAM at 5400 works at CL44, seems stable but will test it later
- RAM at 5500 doesn't work, the same as 5300, it boots at one lower ratio so in this case 5400
- RAM at 5600 works
- 5700 boots as 5600
- 5733 boots as 5600
- 5800 can't boot so far

Some more tests and I found out that the mobo issue is related to a too thick backplate which is touching the PC case. There are many points where it can touch the case, I just have no idea where exactly. It's still weird that it started after 3h+ of tests and even after removing the mobo from the case it required clearing CMOS or reflashing. Everything was suggesting something else.

Good to see that you got working and that you don't have to send it back (just yet). ;)

My Giga Z690i Ultra (DDR4) board also shipped with a pre-release F1 BIOS (09/21)... I've updated it to the current first launch release F3 BIOS (11/1/21).

Another BIOS issue. When I save a profile then the mobo has problems booting at settings that were working without issues some minutes ago. What's more, when I load a profile with manual settings and then edit for example memory timings, save settings and restart ... then the mobo still uses timings from the profile, not these edited :bang head

Edit:
Every timing changes seem to work ... after turning off the PC, turning it on and when the mobo retrain memory ... and memory training takes ages ...
I really thought that retraining this way wasn't required for some years.

Another BIOS issue. When I save a profile then the mobo has problems booting at settings that were working without issues some minutes ago. What's more, when I load a profile with manual settings and then edit for example memory timings, save settings and restart ... then the mobo still uses timings from the profile, not these edited :bang head

Edit:
Every timing changes seem to work ... after turning off the PC, turning it on and when the mobo retrain memory ... and memory training takes ages ...
I really thought that retraining this way wasn't required for some years.

What are you using for CPU cooling? Did you have to get the 1700 bracket separate?

I have my cart ready...Except for AIO...I am trying to get one in new packaging so I do not have to wait on an adapter bracket.

I'm using Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black which is already designed for LGA1700 and Enermax 360 AIO which doesn't need a new mounting kit (at least can read that in the updated manual) but I added one washer just in case.
I can tell you that I see no significant difference between Noctua and AIO coolers. On both 12900k is throttling and boosts to 5.2GHz on single cores. I would have to play with undervolting but don't have time right now. You can see Johan's posts that ~1.20-1.25V should give 5GHz+ without overheating under full load.

Yep.. a lot of the boards I've tested have overvolted at stock. The only board, so far, that has throttling out of the box was the Z690 Valkyrie. Otherwise, they all ran as they should/scored what they should in benchmarks. Hell, even the Valkyrie (DDR5 version, note) scored well in most benchmarks stock. But if you put it under a stress test, even an easier one like AIDA (CPU/Cache/FPU), it still thermally throttled almost immediately. That said, it didn't lower things much. From 4..9 to 4.8/4.7 on the Pcores and 100 Mhz down on some Ecores. Setting a static 1.25V yields 5.1/4.1 GHz (with headroom on the ecores).

I had no problems with the Z690A Valkyrie but I assume that the difference is more significant than only memory support. Johan has about the same results on his Biostar as I do. Memory support is another thing :D

Back