Just when the cB0 chips start reliably showing, Intel announces the cC0 chips:
For FCPGA processors, see here.
For SECC2 processors, see here.
Nothing for regular Celerons yet (a similar change is being made for PIII/Celerons meant for laptops).
What changes are being made?
From the above mentioned documents (comments in brackets mine):
The Pentium III processor 0.18 . . . will undergo the following changes to improve product performance and allow the introduction of higher processor frequencies (same language we saw for the cB0s): . . . .
- CPU ID change (from 0683 to 0686)
- Correction of errata . . .
- 5% shrink in die size
How much of an improvement?
Intel has occasionally muttered they could get 1.2Ghz out of the Coppermine, so I assume the maximum is going to be in that neighborhood.
Intel is saying August 14th for first availability of the chips you’d be interested in overclocking. Based on last time, we’re probably looking at October before we start really finding them.
What chips should we be looking for
First, no chance of possibly finding production units for at least two months.
Here is a chart to tell you what you should be looking for (these are all OEM chips; Intel usually makes a separate announcement for retail chips):
Should you wait?
If you absolutely, positively MUST get 1Ghz or more out of your next CPU guaranteed without using things like Peltiers, yes. If you weren’t going to buy a computer until the fall anyway, (and if this is a back-to-school system, it’s probably too early for it), yes.
If you are running at 500Mhz/550Mhz now; that might not be the worst idea in the world. A lot of people have been disappointed going from that range to 800Mhz or a bit better because they noticed little to any noticeable improvement. Holding off would get you more of a oomph from your upgrade.
Otherwise, if you’re anxious to upgrade pretty soon, no. We’re looking at about a 15% real improvement (not Mhz improvement) in general computing power from what will realistically be a wait of another four months.