Today I am going to show you a brief overview of the recent case mod I have done. This is a redo / total revamp of an old project I had a few years back and originally was one of my first SmoothWall Firewalls wooden case builds.
The Old Case
I am going to make from the old and recycle some of the wood case to make the New Jolly’s Tech bench 2010, for general testing and benching in my workshop garage.
Also, I will be incorporating some NMC style to it even though I am not participating in the NewModCity.com First Anniversary NMC Themed Case Mod Competition (as I’m a Judge). I just needed something to do. Kinda getting too quiet and bored around here, so with a little time up my sleeve and no money for real case modding, the only outlay here is for some paint as everything else is from scraps left over in garage from other Mods!
- The Old wood case, and extra wood (already have)
- Some wood screws (already have)
- Some Plexi (left over pieces from The Sled Project)
- HDD cage/CD-DVD drive cage ( left over from old case)
- Spray Paint Cans Matt Black x 2 – Purple x1 – Sandpaper (cost $15.00AU)
- Spray Clear Coat Satin x 1.5cans(already Have)
- Aluminium Angle 12mm (already have)
- Aluminium Tube 12mm Already have)
- Aliuminium Flat 20mm strip ( $8.20)
- Momentary Push Button Switches x2 ( $9.00AU0
- Case feet ($4.80AU)
- LED,s (Already have)
- Banana Plugs & Sockets (already have)
- Total Cost for Project Revamp = $37.00AU
- Total Time for Project = 31Hrs
Recycling at it Best!
I started on the recycle/revamp of the old wooden case to be used as Jolly’s Tech-Bench 2010. First I pulled the back off and the base that housed the motherboard + HDD (they had already previously been removed and stored).
Now the old top has become the base and added two rails across the back top & bottom.
Made 120mm intake opening for PSU air intake on the bottom base plate.
Cut out CD drive / removable HDD caddy bay and front window cutout. Plexi panels will go on these two areas.
Made right side panel with mounting cutout for the PSU (recycled from old case panels).
I made the left side panel with 120mm intake vent and inspection opening (for getting access to CD Drive Cage) and also cut 120mm hole (was 80mm before) and access slot in wooden case side.
Made plexi cover panel for CD drive/HDD caddy bay
Cut top deck which will also be hinged at rear, and front plexi window panel
(which will also have PWR/RST SW and LEDs for PWR/HDD activity on it).
Made HDD drive bay with 80mm cooling fan plate.
A few other items I finished in the interim were:
- Finished off cutting slots in side panel 120mm fan intake.
- Made side panel inspection cover.
- Finished drilling and cutting slots in top deck for cable routing.
- Made strengthening bracket for drive cage, added 10mm aluminum angle for mounting to main frame.
- Gave everything its first base coat of matte black paint.
- For the rest of the first base paint coat, click here.
Here are some pics of the paint effect I am using on the side panels.
At this point, I still had to paint a second coat on the main frame and top deck and add the special effect to the front of the main frame and mount the side panels. The main frame and top deck will also get clear estapol clear coat along with the HDD cage and drive bay cage.
Below I have done some more clear satin estapol coats to the main frame and side panels, and gave the top deck a coat of Wattyl clear estapol, as I still had half a can of it and it’s more robust than the spray can clear. Also, I:
- Made and Mounted PCI Mounting Post, from Alu 12mm Rod and 12mm angle
- Monted HDD Cage with 80mm Cooling Fan,
- Mounted Motherboard Stand off’s to Top Deck and made slot for PCI Brckets to sit in when mounted on post.
- Found some chrome handles in drawer so also mounted them to sides of Panels on Case.
- Mounted Feet to base and also some Black Alu Fly-wire screen to Back Section and T rimed with Flat Aluminium Strip
- Mounted PWR/RS Switches and LED’s to Plexi Front Panel
At this point I was 98% Finished
PCI mounting post (no they’re not soccer goals).
Side view PSU side panel (also mounted a handle).
Side view intake vent and inspection cover side panel (also mounted the other handle).
Internal view HDD cage drive bay and 120mm fan
(also mounted some stick-on vibration strips to the main frame).
Bottom view with case feet mounted.
Now I’ve finished the front panel wiring for power / reset Switches and LEDs and also added Banana Sockets for Testing Purposes. I have three installed – Black (negative post), Yellow (12V post) and Red (5V post). These are wired to a MOLEX socket plug and also have corresponding LEDs to show a powered state.
Front and rear panels fished.
Final outdoor pics.
That’s all for now, stay tuned for more mods soon!
Thank You for Viewing