• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 5900X is a heater!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, so update on heater: no change on temps after a reseat (#7)

Dam

Spoke too soon, 72c

Dbl dam

Ok this isn't fun anymore 79c :mad:

wteff? is my cooling borked? I mean I ain't blind so's I see mad flow through the rads and res. So...am I missing something?

Oh, clear blocks (Plexi). Somebody talk to me...

Last edited:
Don't mean me wrong, but for the first time I hear about problems with stability at stock (the new CPU) or too high/changing temps of Ryzen CPUs. There were some IMC/3200+ RAM issues in some batches, but that's all. Also, ~80°C on a typical water setup is normal. I have no idea what has changed, but the CPU is clearly not a heater with ~80°C under high load. Tj is 90°C, so during a typical workload, it's specified to go up to even 90°C.
IHS doesn't break, and the stock TIM between CPU and IHS is designed to last for many years.
It's more like searching for problems that don't exist, or it's a problem with thermal sensors, as I have seen weird temps from various users recently. I still can't see anyone complaining about throttling or lower performance. You can just assume that temps are simply numbers that don't mean anything unless the CPU acts weird.

or it's a problem with thermal sensors, as I have seen weird temps from various users recently
I will tell the world my dirty secret to awesome temps..

I keep my computer in the basement. The temp outside is not what it is down here. Sensors are just fine.
Post magically merged:

Chip is overheating. Plenty of raddage, reseated 7x, dunno why it's so hot now. Maybe sumptin happen under the IHS? Thermal breakdown? Was running mid 50's since day one, then bam.
What are your power settings?

Tried several bioses from 16-18. My ambient temps are 72f. I don't get why I got a 20 degree jump and nothing has changed and I haven't done anything different.

If it fries, it fries
If it fries_it fries.JPG

Sorry we were right about it NOT being the CPU. :(

F if I know what's going on... but like Woomack said, it's not hot in the first place so.............. enjoy your PC, neb!

I'm also surprised that you have WD Raptors running in a production (game) machine. I have two that are still running. I have them in my Unraid server for VR machines that I never got up and running.

Another possible reason for the temp spike is that the IHS isn't flat. You could try to lap it with wet/dry sand paper and a small sheet of glass.

When I did this, I purchased a cheap picture frame with glass. Tossed the frame and kept the glass. I would then tape a piece of automotive wet/dry sand paper to the glass. Then, using drops of water, I would run the IHS over the sand paper in a figure 8 pattern.

You'll see very quickly how out of shape the IHS is as the top layer of metal comes off.

Edit: I'm surprised that you are using the WD Raptors too because they run hot. Plus, SSDs are so much faster and cooler in addition to you not being afraid to spend money to have very good gear. Why keep the Raptors?

Last edited:
I'm also surprised that you have WD Raptors running in a production (game) machine. I have two that are still running. I have them in my Unraid server for VR machines that I never got up and running.

Another possible reason for the temp spike is that the IHS isn't flat. You could try to lap it with wet/dry sand paper and a small sheet of glass.

When I did this, I purchased a cheap picture frame with glass. Tossed the frame and kept the glass. I would then tape a piece of automotive wet/dry sand paper to the glass. Then, using drops of water, I would run the IHS over the sand paper in a figure 8 pattern.

You'll see very quickly how out of shape the IHS is as the top layer of metal comes off.
Yeah I remember lapping. Lapped a few chips with really good results. I'm hesitant since the chip is still under warranty so I might as well send it in. As for the raptors, yeah, still running them. A pair of 300 gigabiters for storage. One of them gave up the ghost. Got another one today.

Yeah I remember lapping. Lapped a few chips with really good results. I'm hesitant since the chip is still under warranty so I might as well send it in. As for the raptors, yeah, still running them. A pair of 300 gigabiters for storage. One of them gave up the ghost. Got another one today.
I agree. If it's under warranty, don't void it. Makes sense.

Again? Why buy another Raptor? What is it that you like about them so much? Surely a 2.5" SSD would be larger, cooler, quieter, and have a potentially longer life span. What do I not see?

I agree. If it's under warranty, don't void it. Makes sense.

Again? Why buy another Raptor? What is it that you like about them so much? Surely a 2.5" SSD would be larger, cooler, quieter, and have a potentially longer life span. What do I not see?
I just like them. Nostalgic reasons too. I'm still using large capacity spinners as the SSD versions are still way overpriced.

I just like them. Nostalgic reasons too. I'm still using large capacity spinners as the SSD versions are still way overpriced.
Agreed. My Unraid is running 4TB and 8TB spinners for storage and an SSD for Cache. I just looked last week about replacing the spinners with SSDs. Not in my budget. Not in my budget. :(

My game machine has 1 TB NVMe OS and 2TB NVMe for games. They do generate some heat but I imagine that it is much less than a working raptor. I should look that up for fun. Truth be told, I don't know that SSDs are cooler than raptors but I "know it". I wonder what the reality is?

Back