• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My drives keep vanishing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
I'm starting to notice my drives keep disappearing. I had to go into disk management to reactivate them again. It did it again this morning. I'm thinking my sata ports are going bonkers. My OS drive stays put, but my other drives keep vanishing. I already lost one of my Vraptors.

So, am I wrong about my board's sata ports going out or is it possible ALL my spinners are going out all at the same time?

My OS drive stays put, but my other drives keep vanishing. I already lost one of my Vraptors.
Anything is possible... on that board, does a set of SATA ports come from a 3rd party controller or are they all attached through the chipset? If they are connected to the 3rd party ports, try moving them to the native ports instead (see specs/manual).

It could be one spinner starting to fail, dragging the SATA power down on startup/spin-up.

How is the SATA power distributed between the spinners?

2 separate cables with 3 connectors each in daisy chained. It's always been that way, why? I also just swapped out power supplies because that's when it started. Thought the previous PSU ( Super Flower) was going bonkers, so I swapped it to the Evga P6. Same issue.

Years ago I had six or eight (no raid) drives in a system and had a similar problem - drives disappearing. Unplugging one or two made the rest show up consistently. The system just didn't like the spin-up power draw.

Too bad they are all in raid0, otherwise you could test each drive one by one in another system & maybe find one causing and issue.
Refresh my memory, can you read smart data from a drive when it's part of a raid0 array?

Years ago I had six or eight (no raid) drives in a system and had a similar problem - drives disappearing. Unplugging one or two made the rest show up consistently. The system just didn't like the spin-up power draw.

Too bad they are all in raid0, otherwise you could test each drive one by one in another system & maybe find one causing and issue.
Refresh my memory, can you read smart data from a drive when it's part of a raid0 array?
You know you're right in a way. In the bios they always show up. What I'm going to do is just break-up the arrays. My games drive (2x 6tb) is no big deal, just reinstalling everything is a pita, but my media drive (2x 3tb) I'm going to move over all my media to an external so's I can test the drives.

I too have seen one bad SATA drive cause issues with other ones. Removed the offending drive and the system was fixed. For me it was bringing over an old HDD to a new machine so that the users never lose data. But then the drive fails and takes the new system with it. Again, removing the bad drive fixed the issue the two times that I can recall.

I've mentioned before that I was shocked that you are still using the WD vraptors. They are old, run hot and therefore prone to failing. I would still keep an eye towards those spinners and actively work on phasing them out. Really I would. Otherwise, any data you don't pull from them is disposable.

I've been trying to phase out my spinners for quite a while, but again large capacity SSD's that I need are too expensive.

Maybe when I hit lotto ;)
Spinners are okay for large data storage. Old hot ones: not so much. I have an array of spinners for my main storage. 8 and 4TB drives in Unraid. I think I have something like 24TB of storage with parity making it more resilient to failure.

On one of my B550 boards, I think the XE I would lose a single usb port, usually my keyboard for whatever reason. SOC voltage corrected it. These CPUs are getting a bit old now, but in AIDA it shows mine hanging with 12 and 1300Ks so that makes me tingle a bit.

Back