• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compact Flash speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I've been looking to get a decent digital cam and have come across some compact flash memory with different speed ratings. Supposedly, they can operate at 2x, 4x or even 6x the normal speed of standard compact flash mem. This sounds more like a sham to me. Wouldn't this special, faster memory also require hardware thats capable of tranfering data faster as well? Or does it really work and allow faster transfer rates?

I've seen what you've been talking about before. Although I've never used any of it, my guess is that it could be for real. Compact flash is pretty slow even over USB (based on my camera card reader). I think I measured it's transfer rate once at around 100KB/s. Unless I'm wrong, USB is a little faster that that :) .

But I may be wrong... My camera might just not be the fastest card reader in the world (though it's much faster than my printer...)

JigPu

Things that go *bump* in the night.

Anyone have any experience with this type of mem? I'm curious if it really performs as stated. And if any special hardware is needed to use the mem at its stated speed.

Back