• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mix PC133 with PC2100?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's a great question. There's also an Asus board that offers support for both for the PIII, and I'd be curious on that one as well!!!

Penguin4x4 said:
Sure its possible, but your benchies would be oughta whack. :)
Interesting. Would it be correct to suppose that the DDR would slow down to the PC133 speeds?

-- Paul

No... I heard that I wouldnt work and could possibly cause some damage. PC-133 runs at 3.3volts and PC2100 runs at 2.5volts...and I thought I read somewhere that it could either ruin the board or the ram or both:eek:

FrankMasterFlash said:
No... I heard that I wouldnt work and could possibly cause some damage. PC-133 runs at 3.3volts and PC2100 runs at 2.5volts...and I thought I read somewhere that it could either ruin the board or the ram or both:eek:
That sounds reasonable and scary. Well, I think I'll just email Asus and ask. (I don't have that particular board, but I've been interested in it.)

I also read that at least on a PIII platform, going to DDR didn't help much. -- Paul

When I said it is was possible, I meant that it is possible, not logical. There is a HUGE difference, remember that, ;) . Anyway, they made DDR PIII boards?

I don't think it would work. There is another board that supports both DDR and SDRAm, but not at the same time. It specifically says not to use both at the same time. From that I conclude that no motherboard would do it.

Penguin4x4 said:
When I said it is was possible, I meant that it is possible, not logical. There is a HUGE difference, remember that, ;) . Anyway, they made DDR PIII boards?
There was the Asus TUA266. See http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/566/74/component.htm . Uses Ali Alladin Pro 5T DDR chipset. From the reviews I read, when they used DDR ram with a PIII, they didnt' notice a big performance jump, but then again, I might be wrong. It's been awhile ....

-- Paul

macklin01 said:

There was the Asus TUA266. See http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/566/74/component.htm . Uses Ali Alladin Pro 5T DDR chipset. From the reviews I read, when they used DDR ram with a PIII, they didnt' notice a big performance jump, but then again, I might be wrong. It's been awhile ....

-- Paul
I think it's because while the memory bus can run at 266 MHz, the CPU is still at 133 MHz. With overclocking, that might be a different story ...

-- Paul

With PC2100 DDR, you use half as much RAM as a regular SDRAM board. With 512 MB DDR, you would have to have 1GB SDRAM 133 to equal the performance. :)

ok guys. i just remembered i had a manual with my mobo:D
it says that the motherboard only supports pc1600 and pc21000. i dont think that i can mix my sdram n ddr. that will stuff up everything.

You can't mix DDR and SD. Do u ppl even read ur manuals ne more?
With PC2100 DDR, you use half as much RAM as a regular SDRAM board. With 512 MB DDR, you would have to have 1GB SDRAM 133 to equal the performance.
That isn't true because there is no way SD can have the same bandwidth as DDR. That statement is just like saying 512 DDR would get twice the bandwidth as 256DDR.

Tebore said:
You can't mix DDR and SD. Do u ppl even read ur manuals ne more?

Let's not be insulting here. (Although it's certainly a good point.) Personally, I don't even have a DDR motherboard, and don't plan on getting one, so I don't exactly have a manual. I also didn't feel like waiting around for a multi-megabyte PDF download over a modem for a motherboard I don't own and probably never will.

-- Paul

Back