• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small voltage difference between two RAM modules from the same kit.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mihai.EU

Hi guys ..
After trying for several hours to find information about this issue on Google, I finally decided to post here.

I recently purchased a DDR5 kit from ADATA - XPG Lancer AX5U5600C3616G-DCLABK. It's a 5600 kit with CL36 rated at 1.25V with Hynix A chips. It works perfectly and stable, without errors after a 2-hour test in Memtest86. However, I noticed that there are small variations of 15 millivolts between modules. This makes me wonder if there might be an issue with this memory kit.

I've had two other DDR5 memory kits previously from Corsair and Kingston. Speeds of 6000 and 6400 CL 32, respectively. These memories had perfectly identical voltages between them without variations.
However, I chose to return them because Kingston had Hynix M chips, while Corsair had the weaker Spectek B chips. So, I wanted to get something with Hynix A chips

Another issue is that the memory sticks are labeled with a voltage of 1.250 V, but they actually run at 1.260 V, which I didn't encounter with the other two kits that ran at the specified voltage on the modules

Furthermore, the other modules only have VDD node A. For these Adata XPG modules, a value for VDD node B has appeared, which did not exist previously

The ddr5 modules run on an MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk WiFi motherboard, with the latest BIOS version, and an Intel 14700K processor. The power supply is a Seasonic Focus GX 850W.

I don't intend to overclock anything other than the standard XMP profile. The thing is, I don't understand how normal these variations are, which didn't exist on the previous memory modules. So, I'm reaching out to you, experienced individuals in voltages and their adjustments.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-23 164657.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-23 164657.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 9
However, I noticed that there are small variations of 15 millivolts between modules. This makes me wonder if there might be an issue with this memory kit.
I dont see a problem here (or any of the voltage differences mentioned). Small differences, especially this small, (read from software) I'd consider normal (regardless if other kits didn't show a difference).

However, I chose to return them because Kingston had Hynix M chips, while Corsair had the weaker Spectek B chips. So, I wanted to get something with Hynix A chips
Why? You're setting xmp.... it doesn't matter if there are chocolate chip cookies under there, lol. They'll run their rated speeds (xmp) on the box. ;)

I dont see a problem here (or any of the voltage differences mentioned). Small differences, especially this small, (read from software) I'd consider normal (regardless if other kits didn't show a difference).

Why? You're setting xmp.... it doesn't matter if there are chocolate chip cookies under there, lol. They'll run their rated speeds (xmp) on the box. ;)
I agree with Earthdog but there can be problems with different voltages, but if you don't encounter any issues in your OS, then your golden.

It's normal to see +/- 0.01-0.02V. On my ASUS Apex, when I set ~1.45V, hwinfo64 reads ~1.42-1.45V. When I set ~1.60V, the readings are around ~1.55-1.58V.
It can be a matter of motherboard or used PMIC on memory modules.
As long as it's stable, then I wouldn't search for problems.

Back