• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair XMS 512MB PC2700 work alright?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Script Kiddie

I have an EpoX 8k5a2+ sporting an Agoia 1600xp with 2x40gig 7200rpm Maxtor's and a Ge4 Ti 4400. What I was told to do was unlock the Agoia and turn the mult to 9 and use a 180mhz FSB (36mhz pci/72mhz agp).

Any advice?

speed

The ram is rated for 166. It will do that at least. It probably will go higher if you use relaxed timings. You're gonna have to test and find out. Usually gaming or 3dmark are great to test ram stability since they're both so intense.

You also have the option of getting pc3000, which is guaranteed to work that fast. You can even get pc3200 or pc3500 for 200 or 217fsb respectively. Be aware that those speeds may not necessarily be possible for other components of your system.

I think I only have a 1/5 pci divisor, 217 fsb would be huge, like 42mhz. For sure my HD's would be unhappy with that.
Like I said, I'm using an Epox 8k5a2+.

True... it would probably be too much. PC3000 at 185fsb might be more your style. PC2700 might make it, though.

I couldn't go past 166 (or around that) with CAS 2 and fastest timings. But with fastest timings and CAS 2.5, mine is running at 180 FSB now. This is with the max voltage this Abit board allows. When the RAM was new, many ppl with Epox boards and good cooling claimed they got around 200 FSB with CAS 2 and fastest timings. So you should just keep experimenting, as everyone else suggested. ;)

good cooling would be...
right now I have the stock hs for my nb, and a volcano 7.
it's a cramped case too...

I have my pump, resevoir, nb block, gpu block, and tubing. I just need to get my custom cpu block made...

Back