• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enermax EG365P-VE(FM) and T-Bred 1700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

plexdude

Hey all,

My roomate has major stability problems with his rig. He's got an Epox EP-8K5A2+ motherboard and he just installed his newly purchased 1700+ T-Bred B DLT3C JIUHB 0310XPMW that he got from Excaliberpc. His power supply is of high quality (supposedly)but I'm beginning to wonder if it's power output (+3.3V & +5V combined power output of only 185W) is adequate for overclocking this "magic" chip. The devices and peripherals within his system include the following:

Epox EP-8K5A2+ mobo
1 x 512MB Corsair XMS PC2700 DDR
1 x Radeon 9700 Pro (Sapphire OEM)
1 x Audigy OEM sound card
1 x Maxtor 60GB 7200RPM 2MB buffer
1 x LiteON LTR-40125S CDRW drive
4 x 80mm case fans (stock fans for Kingwin KT-436S-WM Aluminum Case w/ 3 windows)
ThermalTake Volcano 7+ cooler w/70mm fan speed controlled via 3 position switch
1 x Viewsonic Viewmate KBM-KP-202 PS/2 keyboard
1 x Microsoft Intellimouse Optical Special Edition connected via USB port
1 x standard 3.5" floppy drive

As I indicated in the title of this post, his PSU is an Enermax EG365P-VE(FM) 350W.

Do you guys think this setup requires more juice than this particular PSU can handle?

If it's not the PSU, then I think his Epox board may just be a lemon because it doesn't OC worth a damn anymore (honesty, I've never been impressed with it's performance) especially with this new 1700+ T-Bred B. He was running an 1800+ Palomino which lately hasn't been overclocking as good as it used too several months ago.

As for the 4 80mm case fans, I'm not too sure what their specs are but I do know that they are very quiet as they all spin at very low RPMs and have fairly low CFM ratings so I don't think they consume a whole lot of power.

Running the CPU at stock speeds seems to work fine but what's the point of getting one of these "magic" chips if your not going to overclock the hell out of it? We haven't tried any drastic overclocking yet because we can't even get the damn thing stable with just a 166FSB w/ 10X mult at stock Vcore. We've tried a couple of adjustments to the Vcore but never beyond 1.6v as of yet. We've tried various settings for the CPU's frequency and so far it's been nothing but a major letdown and a waste of $72 for the T-Bred. We get nothing but BSODs with even the slightest OC adjustments. The entire time he's had this Epox board, I've been pretty disappointed with it's overclocking performance. I should also add that he's always been using the same PSU with this motherboard as well as the rest of the aforementioned equipment. Also during our brief overclocking, we haven't even seen the CPU temp reach any more than 35C.

BTW, this Enermax EG365P-VE(FM) 350W PSU has a +3.3V & +5V combined power output of only 185W according to the side sticker.

Would just like to hear some of your thoughts and/or suggestions on this scenario.

I'm getting an Abit NF7-S v2.0 w/ a 1700+ T-Bred B JIUHB 0310XPMW tomorrow but I've got a better PSU. Still an Enermax but mine is a 431W (side sticker says it's +3.3V & +5V combined output power is 220W) version. Also my GF4 Ti4400 is probably not as power hungry as a Radeon 9700 Pro so I don't think I'll run into the same issues (...knocks on wood).

Last edited:
enermax psus are awesome-should be able to feed those power hungry components with its huge 12v line (cpu, gpu/vpu), but it doesn't sound like a psu problem anyway, when does he get bsods? what is he doing when he gets them?

i may be wrong but i thought stock of a 1700+ tbred-b is 1.6v, i have heard of a 1.5v version though but i thought that was the 1700+ tbred-a (not an incredible overclocker like the tbred-b), if you haven't gone over 1.6v...maybe you've been undervolting it all along leading it to be unstable when overclocked, with my 1700+ JIUHB i get well into the 1800s-mhz with just 1.6v (no overvolting) when my fan is on high, 2ghz on 1.675 stable, 2.1ghz on 1.775 stable, temps around 40 idle, 47 load

test all the components:

i think prime95 is the best test for the cpu stability, it would freeze or error if unstable
memtest86 for memory
3dmark01-lowest res., 3dmark03 for video

R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3 said:

i may be wrong but i thought stock of a 1700+ tbred-b is 1.6v, i have heard of a 1.5v version though but i thought that was the 1700+ tbred-a (not an incredible overclocker like the tbred-b), if you haven't gone over 1.6v...maybe you've been undervolting it all along leading it to be unstable when overclocked, with my 1700+ JIUHB i get well into the 1800s-mhz with just 1.6v (no overvolting) when my fan is on high, 2ghz on 1.675 stable, 2.1ghz on 1.775 stable, temps around 40 idle, 47 load

Since Mar 03, if you go to the AMD CPU section, you will see lots of excitment about the Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C (1.5V rated version). The Tbred B 1700+ has both versions of 1.5 and 1.6V rated.

Most ppl can oc it to 2.2 - 2.5+ GHz stable on air, with under 1.9V.

Mine can do 2.2 GHz at 1.5V 34C load, and 2.5+ GHz under 1.9V 48C on air.

Last edited:
Back