• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do RAMsinks Work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wraith

I put heat spreaders from thermaltake on my sig ram, adn i havent noticed any difference at all. Does this stuff actualy work or is it just a gimmik?

i say mostly a gimmik, after all how hot does your RAM even get?
If installed correctly, it shouldnt hurt, but at max 5Mhz more from the ram may be expected.

headspreaders on System RAM? I say gimmik.....
heatsinks on Video RAM? I say it works...

really depends on the RAM. I've had crucial PC2100 that couldn't go over 160 with tubo timings regardless of what voltage I put through em, I added TT active speaders and got 172...anything after that my vid card messed up. But then with my samsung PC2700 It can't handle much more then 205 with or without the spreaders so they don't do jack. It's mainly luck of the draw, but RAM does get pretty warm especialy when ya start pumping around 3v through it. for 10 bucks for the active spreaders I think it's worht it, they'll last you a long time, it's not an investment you have to do with EVERY new stick ya buy.

Wraith said:
I put heat spreaders from thermaltake on my sig ram, adn i havent noticed any difference at all. Does this stuff actualy work or is it just a gimmik?

What kind of a difference were you expecting?

It works for thermaltake they made money from it :D

Out of curiousity did you ever notice your memory getting exceptionally hot before installing the RAM sinks ?

ATC9001 said:
really depends on the RAM. I've had crucial PC2100 that couldn't go over 160 with tubo timings regardless of what voltage I put through em, I added TT active speaders and got 172....

The thermotake active heat spreaders have a fan on them and as such the additional ram speed may be due to the cooling of the fan rather than the heat spreader.. I would be interested to know if you get 172 with the fan disconnected

I was hopin my ram would go higher than 150 with it on, and no, they didnt get exeptionaly hot

indeed ramsinks for system ram are really not particularly useful, especially since DDR actually runs cooler than SDR at the same speed (not taking into account the 2x) due to the lower voltage.
They look good tho, and are very nessercary on vid card ram due to the extreme speeds.

Im looking to make an extremely stable system, a non overclocker for a frined, would ramsinks be a good invetment, i meen, for 1 bucks i get sinks for system ram and video, wil lthis help stability at all?

UnseenMenace said:

The thermotake active heat spreaders have a fan on them and as such the additional ram speed may be due to the cooling of the fan rather than the heat spreader.. I would be interested to know if you get 172 with the fan disconnected

yes your right the fan does help, I can't remember the exact numbers but I believe I made it to 167 stable with the spreaders on one side and heatsinks on the other with no fans....

I suppose its a bit of eye-candy just like the other pointless stuff we've all got in our cases such as those light fans or cold cathode tubes. Its not ment to do much but makes your computer look "more expensive"

Wraith said:
Im looking to make an extremely stable system, a non overclocker for a frined, would ramsinks be a good invetment, i meen, for 1 bucks i get sinks for system ram and video, wil lthis help stability at all?

well they wont hurt, not needed, but for 1 dollar, they sure look pretty

With good case airflow I'd prefer custom passive heatsinks rather than a .1 CFM winky-fan that may whine, rattle and/or fail, and which requires another power wire to tuck away.

Like most here I don't think a small alu jacket with thermal stickers beneath it will do much good. Carefully crafted copper heatsinks epoxied to the chips and which take up all empty remaining slots may be more useful. Even then, if there is no heat to remove it will do nothing.

Back