• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

440LX FSB capabilities

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
OK, for all you old schoolers out there....

Barring other issues, what kind of FSB can a 440LX board realistically be expected to put out? The reason I ask is that a PII setup that I am goofing around with has jumpers to set FSB up to 100 MHz.

And on that note, would a PII 300 be able to make the jump to 100 MHz FSB? (450 MHz?) I know the Celeron 300A's did this pretty readily but I never heard much about the PII's.

sb

I can't remember what I had for lunch three days ago and you want me to remember the overclocking performance of a board I haven't touched in years?

Oh, yeah, we oldschoolers get cranky when we don't get our naps...

But seriously. I can't give a blanket answer because overclocking on those old setups was a lot more involved than it is today. Because there wasn't a lock for the PCI/AGP buses picking the right video and sound card was as important as getting the right motherboard. There was also a wide difference in the overclocking abilities of different boards using the same chipset. (The Abit BE-6 and BE-6II were legendary overclocking boards.) And then you had the CPU. The P2 and P3's didn't overclock nearly as well as the Celly A's. As I remember, the best I ever saw from a P2/300 was 366.

I wouldn't expect to get an LX/P2 setup to hit 100FSB. But if you can afford just to play around with it, why not experiment and see what you can get out of it? You'll find that its a lot more challenging than playing with the settings in the BIOS.

BHD

I'm not looking so much for high overall CPU speed, I guess. I just remember seeing somewhere that you could unlock these Klamath core PII's and I'd be pretty interested in running them at 100x3 instead of 66x4.5. This thing is going to be serving files and folding and the more FSB I can get out of it the better.

Plus it's a dual... (Asus P2L97-DS). Probably complicates things more. But did I ever score a deal on this thing!! $11 off eBay. I'm guessing since this board doesn't have CPU vcore jumpers on it I am probably stuck at default vcore too....

And while we're at it... I suppose, with my luck, this thing only has a /2 PCI and runs the AGP bus even with the FSB....?

That's not your luck. Every hardware overclocking board I've used ran a fixed divider for the PCI bus, and then for the AGP when the FSB went to 100MHz. Its why picking the right peripherals was so important to getting a good overclock.

BHD

On the subject of P2-300's you must be entirely more specific. The earlier 2.8V P2-300's have zero chance of running 450MHz. The later (SL2W8, if memory serves) 2V version has a very good chance of running 450MHz, with many reaching 504 with a Vcore boost.

Oh I definitely have 2 CPU's on the way... :)

I wouldn't goof around with this setup if I could only get one for it. The CPU's are currently en route to me, I'm pretty sure they are the 2.0v versions. I'll post back when everything arrives and I have some time to mess with it a little.

sb

I remember my 440lx board maxing out at 83 using softfsb. I had 2 p2 300 running at 504 in a intel 820i chipset before without any vcore adjustment. I soon upgraded to a single 933@1134 fcpga with iwill slocket. Im still using the 440lx board with a celeron 766 witha iwill slocket. I can oc to 920 nows dats not bad for an old 440lx board design for 333 max mhz.

OK I got my CPU's in the mail today and they are SL2HA's. I will try them out when I get home from work. Also need to pick up some slot 1 heatsinks as the ones that came with them hardly touch the metal backplate at all.

**EDIT** looks like I am out of luck for overclocking these things any more than marginally. I checked the CPU database and all the SL2HA's are concentrated at 350 MHz and under. Oh well. Maybe I'll swing a trade with the IT guys here at work for some better stepping CPU's, they've got a ton of PII's sitting around.

SickBoy, do you also use the on-board sound for your AL440LX ? if so can you help me out with getttting some drivers for mine ?

hmm... I'm going to try something tomrrow, I'm gonna take my p--350 and drop it into my 440lx and I bet thatI can get 133mhz :D

I've got an Asus P2L97-DS. For now I am running Redhat on it and whatever drivers the Redhat installer chose for it seem to work. **shrug**

my 440lx board maxed out at 83 MHz FSB. When I upgraded to a 440bx I got my PII 333 to 5x103 at default vcore. There's a good chance you can hit 450 with those chips if they're the newer, 2.0v core.

Back