• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good P4pe setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acesea

Hey everyone. I am planning on putting together my second rig in the next coming weeks prior to next semester when school starts.
This will be the first Intel Im going to be putting together. At first I was opting to get a Granite Bay, the Gigabyte, and make use of it for some time. I love fast pcs, however i hate tossing so much money away trying to keep up. Anyway, nuff with that. From a bit of reading, I see the 845pe is a great board, the asus p4pe seems extremely popular even tho there have been a few problems with it.

That said, I am going to have the system setup around that chipset- the P4pe.
However I am a bit uncertain with some of the other main components. This will be the first system that i will do anytype of overclocking and so please share with me your expertise on cpus and vcards, as far as where I can save some cash and overclock.

From what Ive heard, the P4 1.8ghz 400 can easily get beyond 2.4ghz by simply upping fsb to 133, and then some. But say I want to hit the 3ghz mark economically. Which path should I go to hit that oc?

I should also mention that the case will have a decent watercooling system, so odds are I can more aggressively oc than those on air.

Last thing I am skeptical about is video card. I only need it to serve me till the summer. So i dont necessarily want to throw a lot of cash into say the ati9700 right now, when post spring, the fx will be out. I remember someone saying that one of the geforce 4 cards was simply a underclocked 4600. is it the 4200 or 4400? and is there much to it to get either of these cards beyond the 4600 specs?

Thanks a lot for any help.

I'm pretty much on the same boat you are...a few things i'd like to say is that i'm finding the 2.4bghz P4 is the best buy right now.

You can get it for 185 at newegg (no heatsink). Or you can get it with the stock hs for 10 bux more but since your overclocking i wouldnt rely on that....although you did say you have a watercooled system :). think you get the picture.

I've seen this CPU hit 3ghz many times...heck all ya gotta do is chekc the overclockers.com data base. Best bang for your buck i think.

As for the vid card, i dont know where you heard spring for the FX, i've heard Febuary...and since they will be behind schd. as it is i would imagine that Feb would be a good bet. If this is true you might wana just buy a geforce 2...heck my gf2mx400 ran pretty darn well compaired to my ti4600. And if it's only for a few months...save the cash and get the FX.

just my (very n00b) .02

Back