• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Was going to buy a kit, but then..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Node

I figured it would be interesting, and cheaper, to buy the parts on my own. I have an Athlon XP2000 and an epox 8k3a.

I want everything to fit inside my Antec 1080, ie no reservoir or anything outside of the case itself. I'd also want to get a relay switch so the pump turns off by itself when my computer is off. Obviously I want quiet as possible. Money isn't too much of a concern right now, so what parts do you recommend? From the threads I have read, I have gotton this very basic idea down:

Waterblock - either a Swiftech MCW5000, or a Dangerden maze3
Pump - Enheim seems to be popular and quiet, but what version of it?
Radiator - no idea here
Tubes - 1/2" tygon

currently not worrying about F&B parts or fans. Would those parts do me well?

D-tek heatercore w/shroud (or use your own tupperware ;) )1/2" barbs

A T fitting for the bleed line.

Go to www.Eheim.com to look at pump dimensions and do some measuring. (You might have to sacrifice some PCI slots)

Cathar's White Water WB is expensive but everyone raves about it.

Don't forget things like hose clamps and water wetter/purple ice.

Try www.dtekcustoms.com, I've had a really positive experience with them.

I gotta agree with Wangster's post, but if you want a different heater core tell me the dimensions you want and I'll look it up in my dbase and point ya in the right direction.

peace.
unloaded

I tried to order from Dtek, but the ****ers wouldnt give me my total (with shipping) until after they got my CC info. Needless to say, they can **** off.

Also, get two T adaptors for a fill and a bleed. Otherwise filling is a pain in the ***. (put a teeny bit of water into a funnel, squeeze the tubing, repeat)

Just thought I would drop in a pic of my water cooled system for you to check out. Got most of my stuff from the hardware store and crazy PC. And the case you have is MUCH larger than mine.

My Rig

i have that same case the problem is their is almost no way to fit a heatercore in that case without modding it. Many people with this Antec/Chieftec case remove the bottom hard drive cage and drill out the rivets to remove the support bracket. That works but for me that isn't really an option because I keep my 2 WD 80 GG HDD down there and I have no place else to put them. I think I might opt for making an external system. I don't move my case alot.

It is easy to fit the system in. Look at mine, all I had to do is drill a few holes in it and it was done. The only problem (which you won't have) is that I had to remove my 3.5" bays, no big loss. It depends on how big your radiator is.

Cathar seems like a nice guy, provided that his little river isn't any more difficult to set up than a normal waterblock I'll be glad to give him my money.

As for the pump, I think the Enhiem 1250 would do well, right? I saw that Dangerden had a Hydor L30 which had comparible specifications that cost less, does anyone have any experienced on that pump?

And for the radiator, I still am a bit lost on it. I would be comfortable removing the hard drive cage to fit something good, but I just don't know what radiator yet. Advice is appreciated.

I hope you are prepared to answer all my questions when I get the parts!

Node,

We're all still learning about our art but we'll always be glad to help.

If you do decide to get Cathar's WhiteWater WB, be aware that it demands a LOT of head from your pump (~3 meters to get about 166gph through it by itself).

If your not comfortable about soldering your own barbs and such onto an auto salvaged heatercore than just get a ready made one from the various vendors mentioned in these forums.

Keep taking those measurements so you know everything you plan on buying will fit!

Node, are you afraid to cut up that nice looking case? If not then I have a neat idea of where to place everything (internally) that I will be using on my Full Tower if you are interested. I think it is a good idea to make one yourself also, takes a lot more thought. Check out www.3dcool.com for a pretty nice Rad also. But I like ones that don't have 90 degree fittings on them.

What are your ideas, skahtul?

Also, here is my current list - tell me if it looks like it can be improved

Cathar's Waterblock
Enheim 1250
Dtek heatercore pro with a shroud (dont want to make one myself) and some random 120mm fan I have lying around
1/2" tygon tubing
Swiftech Relay Switch I

I know I'm missing some stuff. What about clamps? Do I need any adapters, or does all of that stuff work with 1/2" tubes?

There is no performance difference between the pro and regular heatercores. The pro is just painted. FYI

Sounds pretty good so far. Don't worry too much about adapters, you can get anything you might be missing at assembly time at the Home Depot or any hardware store. Cathar's waterblock uses a single inlet with dual outlets on the sides of the inlet so make sure you have a y-fitting for it.

Keep us posted :)

What parts do I need for filling and bleeding?

Back