• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EK-Quantum Velocity2 DDC 4.2 PWM D-RGB thoughts and possible issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I will leave my thoughts about the EK-Quantum Velocity2 DDC 4.2 PWM D-RGB here in case anyone is thinking of buying it and maybe have similar questions. Feel free to add more info as these products probably will be on the market for longer, and the AMD version was recently released too.

I have the LGA1700 version so this -> https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-velocity2-ddc-4-2-pwm-d-rgb-1700-nickel-plexi

I bought the block/pump/res combo from EK as their products are always high quality (let's say with some exceptions). At first, I was using it on a Strix Z690-I Gaming mobo with lower-height RAM, and it barely fits. It was an ITX motherboard, so it's always tight. I just got ASUS Z790 Apex, and I wanted to use the EK combo to save space, especially since I need it for CPU only.

1. Filling the small res is somehow pain. It took me a long time to get rid of bubbles in the previous build.
2. The cooler combo is big and heavy. Don't think of using it in most small ITX cases with a "sandwich" design. It simply won't fit because it's large, and we still have to install fittings on top. 60mm has the cooler without fittings. I didn't check it well enough, and I had to change plans for my first build with the EK cooler as it was too tall.
3. I have no idea why someone had such a stupid idea to design it this way, but side inlets/outlets can't be used with most RAM modules. Even if you don't use them, then plugs won't let you install tall RAM on 2 memory slot motherboards or on 4-slot motherboards when you want to use 4 memory modules.
Side inlets/outlets are useless with DDR5, as there is no RAM short enough so that it can be installed under the tubes/fittings.
Below is a picture from the EK website showing how close it is with installed Patriot RAM, so not the tallest one, with a lowered center side of the heatsink.
EK-Quantum-Velocity2-DDC-4.jpg

The tested standard height V-Color DDR5 modules (maybe 5mm taller than regular modules without heatsinks) were exactly in the same spot and can't be taller, or RAM will be "bent" in the slot.
In short, expect problems with all ITX motherboards or any higher 2-slot motherboard series which has shorter RAM traces (for better OC results), as all of them are slightly closer to the CPU socket.
4. You can install it only in one orientation for optimal work unless the motherboard is installed horizontally. I may check it installed at 90°, but I expect problems with the reservoir and buzzing pump.
5. The top is not polished well. You can see the CNC milling texture. Photos on the product pages seem to be edited, so it looks better.

I wanted to reuse as many components from previous builds as I could to save money, but I will probably end with an AIO cooler and close the topic as I don't really want to spend $400 only on cooling.
As I said, feel free to add some comments.

Edit:
I found Alphacool plugs that may solve the issue, but I'm not sure yet - https://www.alphacool.com/shop/fitt...lphacool-eiszapfen-screw-plug-v.2-g1/4-chrome I just ordered 2 to check.

Last edited:
Good to know. The integrated reservoir sounds cool, and I think Bykski had a similar design, but I can see it being hard to fill and periodically topping it off might not be fun depending on the access.

In theory, it's great as you don't need a separate reservoir and pump. You can also save on tubes and fittings ;) In reality, you have to think about many things, like mentioned filling ports, so sometimes can be additional costs. From a perfect SFF cooling, it becomes an all-in-one cooler for large computers where you don't want or can't install a larger reservoir or a pump+res combo.
I guess I will wait a couple of days to check how it works rotated by 90° on the CPU. I'm not sure if bubbles won't gather somewhere and make noise. I also wish to install it in Hyte Y40, and it's a pretty tight case, so I don't want a separated res+pump. It's more like "AIO with thicker rad".

In the past Swiftech and some other brands had pump+res+block combo or pump+block. However, most of them were below average quality and were or breaking fast or leaking, or were problems with compatibility. I don't fully trust Bykski. Their products are sometimes great, but sometimes you can see stains on full-cover blocks after short time usage, or other things that suggest not the best quality control.

Edit:
I found Alphacool plugs that may solve the issue, but I'm not sure yet - https://www.alphacool.com/shop/fitt...lphacool-eiszapfen-screw-plug-v.2-g1/4-chrome I just ordered 2 to check.

These Alphacool plugs solved the issue. The RAM heatsink in the first slot from the CPU side is still touching the cooler, but it's at least getting some cooling, is not bending in the slot, and it's easy to remove from the slot.
It's ridiculous as the cooler costs over $300, and I still had to look for a solution which was two $3 plugs.

I was filling the loop yesterday, and after 1h the pump was still buzzing like it had problems with bubbles. The loop is as simple as CPU cooler combo + 280mm rad and nothing else, so I'm surprised it's so hard to get rid of air. I don't remember having similar issues when I used the EK combo block the first time. Today will be one more try. In the worst case, I just install AIO.

Last edited:
The pump is still buzzing like it was catching bubbles quite often. It's annoying for longer, so I have to rebuild it or just reuse other stuff that I have around with a regular CPU block. I also consider changing the PC case for this build. The best would be one that supports 2x 280/45mm radiators, but I can't find anything good. Everything is like 280+360 or 360+360 or 360+240. I have 2x 280/45mm x-flow rads from an "older" build, and I could move everything ... if I find any good case.

I saw it, and it's nice but also too big and too heavy ... also costs 3x more than I wish to spend. I was checking this one too https://www.phanteks.com/NV7.html, but it's unnecessarily big for what can be installed. Like 480mm rad won't fit, but on the side is space for 4x120mm fans.
The main problem is that I wish to use 280mm rads and don't want to spend too much. I ordered this one today - https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/gaming-cases/tuf-gaming/tuf-gaming-gt502/ In local prices, it was $100 cheaper than the Phanteks and $400 cheaper than the Lian-Li V3000.
The main reason is that the price is much lower, it supports up to 4x 360mm rads or 2x 280 + 2x360 (I won't use more than a thick 280 + thick 360), everything is white and not black/white (I picked the white version), and there is a vertical mount included while other cases don't have it (a compatible one costs $50).

I was trying to use Hyte Y40 a couple of times, but every time something was wrong. I will just replace the case and close the topic.
One thing I wish to find would be white 10/16 tubes. I see that Alphacool has them listed but not available. Other brands have only transparent or black. There are also no white compression fittings, only silver or black. Only fittings for hard tubes are available in white. I'm sure there were white compression fittings some time ago, but it looks like they were discontinued.

Last edited:
Back