• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVME 4x 4.0 suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

Hey all.

Been away for a bit. So not really sure what is going on. Last PC I built was during covid. I finally upgraded my haswell and 560 gtx, to a 5600x and 3060. (asus b550m wifi and 32 GB Ram. Cheapish LianLi case forget the model. Very black almost no RGB I love it, fat *** bequiet tower cooler)

So despite my plentiful platter drives sitting in some location somewhere. (been a bit busy). my new (2 years old now) system I only put a 1TB NVMe drive in it for some reason.

A crucical P5 1tb 3d

I want to upgrade this, and slap it into the secondary slot under the heatsink, as a thrash drive (no need for swap file).

I am thinking the 4TB samsung 990 pro with heatsink to go into the main 4x 4.0 slot.

2 questions,

1) That drive game out well over a year ago.. is it still worthy?

2) How do I put the old drive under the heatsink. Do I peel off the sticker, Add AS5 or the current derivative? OR is the sticker already to go, just goo the top of it ?

Stupid questions I know.

TIA

I just use WD NVME.. not sure why. I am using Thermalright heatsinks on my mobo NVME drives, super easy to install. Even a monkey can do it. It has their thermal pads.. works pretty good.

Not much has changed in SSDs in the last 2-3 years. Many cheaper models use QLC NAND, so you have to read specs.
From fast and reasonably priced SSDs, I recommend Crucial T500 - DRAM+TLC. Many tests are close to what you can make on PCIe 5.0 x4 SSDs. It also runs cool compared to other high PCIE 4.0x4 SSDs.
From low heat and still fast, you can find SSDs with Maxio controllers and without DRAM. They're still very fast and are cheaper. I mean something like Patriot VP4300 Lite, Team Group MP44s or Acer/Predator GM7. There are some more models, but I gave examples of what I tested. All of them make 7400MB/s and have pretty good random bandwidth. All run at ~50°C under load without additional heatsinks or airflow, so are perfect for small or silent PCs.
For more professional work, I still recommend something like Kingston Renegade/KC3000. I mean, if you run highly multithreaded tasks that use storage a lot, then results are surprisingly good on these SSDs. They're also one of the fastest for gaming and other things.
I'm not a fan of Samsung, but their SSDs are pretty good. The 990 Pro is a good option, but there are better SSDs around that are also cheaper. Still, if you aren't sure, then you can't go wrong with 980 Pro or 990 Pro.

Thanks Guys.

I am not doing much. Just do not want to purchase for size now and be regretting performance later.

I have been looking at TLC, as I used to review Storage as well, and know that the stuff keeps getting crappier and crappier.

Second nvme slot is half the speed of the main but I figured I can be accessing my main while transferring and not see any slowdowns.

Eventually second nvme drive will get a larger storage device attached and my current 1TB will become a usb stick. But I want the 4tb I buy now to be good performance and not overheat.

I will look into those mentioned. Are your SSD reviews here?

As far as perfromance goes. My system takes a bit to boot. Like 20-30 seconds I guess. I remember timing my windows 7 boot times at 7ish seconds to useable desktop on sandforce ssds.
Post magically merged:

Imagine if someone came across a hidden trove of SLC chips, slapped a new controller with 64 threads with a dual DRAM cache and packaged it into a 3.5 inch hdd format with active cooling. 4TB of crazy fast, durable storage. Blank check for purchase :)

Last edited:
Imagine if someone came across a hidden trove of SLC chips, slapped a new controller with 64 threads with a dual DRAM cache and packaged it into a 3.5 inch hdd format with active cooling. 4TB of crazy fast, durable storage. Blank check for purchase :)
You could likely find something like that in the enterprise market, with a price to match.

If you want the SLC experience, most drives operate in pseudo-SLC mode so overprovision or otherwise limit capacity to equal that pSLC size. It pushes up the effective cost/capacity but so would SLC.

If you want ultimate drive responsiveness (latency, IOPS) I don't believe flash has ever managed to beat Optane, even if it is lacking in sequential by current standards.

I will look into those mentioned. Are your SSD reviews here?

This one should cover some of the most popular SSDs (except for Samsung, I don't get Samsung samples, and I'm not really buying their SSDs):

As far as perfromance goes. My system takes a bit to boot. Like 20-30 seconds I guess. I remember timing my windows 7 boot times at 7ish seconds to useable desktop on sandforce ssds.
Post magically merged:

I don't think that boot time matters. Of course, there are limits, but I don't think it's important if you wait 5, 10, or 20 seconds for the OS to load when later, most data is in RAM, so you can't really see the difference. Typically, I recommend any, let's say, above average, SSD for OS and something faster for games or more demanding software.

All SSDs in popular DELL/HP servers that I saw (1-2 CPU Intel or AMD, 1U/2U rack) are not much different than desktop options. They're not really faster but focused on higher IOPS and mainly for more TBW (probably only much larger space for overprovisioning). PCIe bandwidth has the same limits, and RAID is not scaling well in random operations (hardware RAID controllers are not so special). In the end, in a highly multithreaded environment, you see mainly much higher IOPS and sequential bandwidth that comes from RAID setups. Random, low queue bandwidth is pretty low. Random high queues and IOPS are much higher.

There are no SLC SSDs anymore. At least not in mass production because of high costs. As mackerel mentioned, SLC is almost only a cache to boost performance.
I also don't think I have seen MLC SSDs for some longer. Everything new is TLC or QLC.

Hey all.

Been away for a bit. So not really sure what is going on. Last PC I built was during covid. I finally upgraded my haswell and 560 gtx, to a 5600x and 3060. (asus b550m wifi and 32 GB Ram. Cheapish LianLi case forget the model. Very black almost no RGB I love it, fat *** bequiet tower cooler)

So despite my plentiful platter drives sitting in some location somewhere. (been a bit busy). my new (2 years old now) system I only put a 1TB NVMe drive in it for some reason.

A crucical P5 1tb 3d

I want to upgrade this, and slap it into the secondary slot under the heatsink, as a thrash drive (no need for swap file).

I am thinking the 4TB samsung 990 pro with heatsink to go into the main 4x 4.0 slot.

2 questions,

1) That drive game out well over a year ago.. is it still worthy?

2) How do I put the old drive under the heatsink. Do I peel off the sticker, Add AS5 or the current derivative? OR is the sticker already to go, just goo the top of it ?

Stupid questions I know.

TIA
Speed plays a big role for gaming the faster the better.:)

I don't carry a brand loyalty on these. I search for the size I need then search speed and price. 2TB are cheap enough that I moved my game drive to a 2TB. OS on a 1TB storage on the 2TB. Fast as all get out.

To cover the install question: Do *NOT* remove the sticker from your NVMe. The heatsync will have a thermal pad on it. Just pop in the NVMe, place the heatsync on top and fasten. For specifics, your MB manual will show you.

Last edited:
I'm currently using WD Black SN850 in raid-0 for OS and certain proggies. The motherboard has build-in heatsinks for the NVME drives with thermal pads. For as much as I run the drives, they stay extremely cool. Great drives for the price and speeds. As Don stated: DO NOT REMOVE the stickers. No need to and it will void the warranty.

I'm using WD spinners also in raid-0 for games, media and everything else.

Well... First you need to find out who his allies are. Look for signs of discord and weakness. When you do strike... Strike HARD... and blame somebody el... Oh wait a minute... this is the wrong thread. You're the M.2 guy...

Yeah any drive will do, really. Don't overthink it. :D

It just sucks that they have gone up so much. They were cheap last summer. Like 1TB SN770 for 69 beaver bucks cheap. I bought 3 lol..

you know i thought M.2 drives would be nice. im thinking yea the extra speeds should be alot faster. i still havent built my 11th gen rig, all new parts just sitting there. im still using sata III drives, im not expecting things to be much faster.

im still mad they claim how big SSD 2.5in drives can get. what we get 8tb drive, last i saw. yet they toughted that back in what 2017/2018 or there abouts?

yea at one point i saw the 990 evo 2tb as low as $114 on sale at amazon.
It depends what you are doing. I find SATA to be slow when doing transfers. Even my Gen 3 drives stomp all over my SATA drives.
all i do is streaming shows and gaming. why i do not expect to see a difference. really went that route for the P41 2tb because of how small it is and xfer rate and a HR-09 HS. been sitting here, wish i never bought it, if it was out i would have gotten the 2tb 990evo.

Do any of you think that SATA Hard Drives will be gone in 20 to 40 years?
sata has not been updated in a long time, hope they do. if you want massive storage SATA is going to be around because of mechanical drives. I have not gone looking for reviews on mechanical drives but i still doubt they are close to making out sata III. there is just no way now or in the future do i personally see SSD's getting to the size of mechanical drives. it took them how long to give us 2/4 tb drives when they touted this along time ago. right now the cheapest 24tb drive is $445 from seagate.
now i just went looking, micron has a 30tb ssd for $5167 U.3, drive is 2.5in but connects to the M.2 slot.
how about the mushkin enhanced source at 16tb for $1944, impressive for the price!
ok so things have come alot farther since i last look at ssd size. last time i saw in a 2.5in FF it was 8tb in size for the price in just raw size people are going to go with mechanical drives.

There might be two parts to this questions: hard drives and SATA.

HDs I don't think will go away unless we get something "better" when it comes to capacity. I don't know if flash will some day pass it, or would it take something new.

SATA the connector is more questionable. For enterprise uses, which is probably one of the biggest uses of HDs, they could be as happy with SAS. Even commercial NAS could move to SAS I think. Is there much use for embedded SATA devices? I'm thinking of use cases where HDs still make some sense. Are home video recording boxes still a thing?

So basically, HDs yes, SATA maybe not unless there are enough non-PC use cases for it. In a parallel example, the serial port. Hasn't been standard on PCs for a very long time, but it will probably never completely go away on some industrial equipment.

To me, SATA is already dead. I do not use it, have it disabled on my mobos. I know people still use them, like DVD/BR/HDD.. neither of which I have used in many years, though I still have hardware.. I just do not use it, nor have it installed.

Back