• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED One more bad experience with EKWB products

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
After some problems with the pump/reservoir, radiators, micro fittings, earlier gen blocks (or stains after only a few months), pump/block combo, and its failed design, it's time for the current generation of EKWB blocks. Specifically, I have (or had as I can't use it anymore) EK-Quantum Velocity² D-RGB - AM5 Nickel + Acetal. As with most EK products, it's pretty expensive. I'm glad I didn't decide on the gold-plated one.

I usually do not share things like that, but let's say I'm unhappy with the quality, not to mention I wasted money (assuming that the hardware is not damaged or will be even worse), so I decided to share.
The problem is not with the block itself but rather with its mounting kit quality. Once it was installed, all was perfect. When I wanted to remove it and switch motherboards, then all 4 screws/pins which are going through the AM5 backplate just broke. I wasn't putting much pressure, and I used the Torx key included with the block. I could understand if I made something wrong on one screw... not all 4 in the same way.
Because of the unique and somehow "awarded" mounting kit, it's impossible to remove the block in an easy way when any of the screws break. because of their thinness, it's hard to drill through the backplate without damaging anything. I picked the other way - through the top.

IMG_0128.jpg

For some reason, two backplate nuts went loose, so I can't use it anymore. Here is one problem as it's on the ASUS Strix B650E-I ITX motherboard. I wanted to use the ASRock B650E PG ITX backplate (as this motherboard is a review sample, and it's very annoying anyway), but I was thinking of getting a replacement backplate for ASRock in a couple of days. Standard AM5 backplates are not available in stores. The replacement one is, for example, Thermal Grizzly with AM4 mounting holes, which would be fine too, as all AM5 coolers also have AM4 mounting kits. Of course, it couldn't be so easy ... this backplate isn't compatible only with my specific ASRock motherboard :bang head

IMG_0118.jpg

I will update this post when I reinstall everything and check if the motherboard works.

The motherboard works fine (the one from the photos in the last post). I used the ASRock backplate and switched the CPU to 7800X3D (before it was 7600). Somehow, ASUS works better than ASRock, even though both motherboards seem similar. I will keep ASRock as a replacement "just in case".

Something like that. Screws/bolts are going into the backplate, and you have to turn them around/screw from the back of the motherboard. Since the endings of the screws broke, they stuck inside, and there was no way to unscrew them.

Last edited:
Different product lines and some products are unique, like micro fittings or CPU block/res/pump combo. Sometimes there is no replacement. Sometimes, it's just a matter of the aesthetics of a new product.

I saw some of your posts. Really nice stuff. I just have very limited time and recently lack the motivation to use liquid cooling. I will keep your offer in mind as I have some weird ideas from time to time :)

Btw. I sent an email to EKWB, and they already replied, offering a replacement for any damaged block part. They can't send an AM5 backplate as they don't have it in their offer. It was a better reply than I expected, but after what happened, I'm not sure if I even want to install this block again.

I recently picked up this same one and during the process, must have removed it about 10 times and never an issue. The only thing I’d say is the included torx driver is too short.

I had no problem when I was installing it, and I was correcting it, too, as I remember. The problem appeared a couple of months later. I don't know if it was corrosion or something else, but it caused all the screws to sit too tight.
Btw. EKWB sent me a replacement for all the broken pieces. It's pretty much the whole block without a cold plate. It would probably be easier for them to send a new product instead of every screw, washer, RGB stripe, ... , in a separate bag. I had no time to put it together, and tbh, I don't even know if I trust it enough to use it again.
I asked if they could replace the AM5 version with an AM4 version as it has better mounting and the AM5->AM4 backplate is available, but they didn't want to. They did more than I was expecting anyway.
I was thinking of getting the AM4 version + a backplate, but I don't want to pay $250 again.

Now I have plans to replace the EKWB block/pump/res combo in my test rig as it's sucking air, no matter if the pump is at a lower or higher speed. It works fine in a horizontal orientation (I was using it in my 24/7 PC for maybe 6-8 months), but when it's vertical, it bubbles for like 30-40 minutes before it calms down, but it still makes buzzing sounds quite often. It's like the design is forcing it, and it's designed to work vertically. During work, the remaining air stucks between the pump and the res, and it stays there no matter what I do. I asked EK support, by the way, when I was talking about the damaged block, but they had no idea how to solve it. I have a spare white Alphacool Core 1 block and a small pump/res, so I will use them both ... once I find the time to rebuild everything.

Back