• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is memtest on the floppy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

I downloaded memtest 3.0 and extracted the files, then I ran the bat file and supposedley got all the files on the floppy. Just for the heck of it I tried to view the files so I clicked on the A: drive in My Computer and it says "floppy is not formated, would you like to format it now?" Or something like that, is it supposed to do that? I haven't tried booted from the floppy yet.

Well I put in the floppy and rebooted, it got to the screen that says all my IRQ's and stuff and said "Loading...". It sat there for a while then just rebooted my computer. I ejected the floppy and it booted into windows fine, what did I do wrong?

follow along:

1. download this file to your desktop: http://www.memtest86.com/memt30.zip

2. extract it to a folder on your desktop

3. put a floppy in the drive and quick format it(My Computer/Right Click Floppy/Format/Quck Format/Start/Ok/OK/Close)

4. Double click Install.BAT from the new folder on your desktop

5. A DOS windows will open and will ask you for the target drive, use A: and hit Enter

6. It will ask you put in a formatted floppy(we have done that so hit enter) Press Enter

7. When it is done, leave the floppy in the drive and restart your computer, make sure Floppy is a boot option in Bios, it should boot to the disk and start running the test...

See if this works for you, if not let me know

Hey thanks for the tip, I did the quick format first, then installed it on the floppy, rebooted and its running fine. I think its like 25% done with the tests right now. Does it tell me what errors there were when all the tests are done?

It finished running the first set of tests 1-7. It says it has passed once and got no errors or ECC errors. Now it seems to be running the tests again. Should I let it run again? or is one time through good enough?

So if I set my memory speeds higher and my memory becomes more unstable, memtest will find errors? And by raising memory voltage there will be less errors?

I'm just trying to figure out this memory OCing stuff b/c with my memory on the "fast" through the "turbo" settings in the bios my games and 3DMark will crash, but when its on default everything runs fine.

The reason it was giving you the "floppy is not formatted..." error, is because it uses a Linux kernel and file format, which Windows will not recognize as a valid file format. Hence it thinks the floppy is not formatted.

Back