• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung 990 Pro Cloned OS & PCIE 4.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

motherboard1

Cloned my OS onto a new Samsung 990 pro ( 2TB ) using Samsungs migration software. It came with the newest firmware so I don't need to worry about that. Haven't even booted into it yet, I was wondering should I expect a reliable stable OS out of this? I assume some would suggest a fresh install. Also I haven't set it to PCI-E 4.0 yet it's still on 3.0. I assume there is no downside regarding lanes as long as I've got the NVMe slot occupied my RTX 2080 must now be limited to 4.0 x8 lanes since my platform only offer 4.0X16

Sure! Why wouldn't it? Same hardware, just a new drive, right? I wouldnt suggest a reinstall for that.

Also I haven't set it to PCI-E 4.0 yet it's still on 3.0. I assume there is no downside regarding lanes as long as I've got the NVMe slot occupied my RTX 2080 must now be limited to 4.0 x8 lanes since my platform only offer 4.0X16
Board in your signature, right? Isn't its m.2 pcie 3.0 x4 max? I don't think there's a 4.0 socket on thst board.

I may have been confused by the terms and numbers. X4 and Gen 4x4 / Gen 3x4

From the motherboard manual (( All of the PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard ))

Previously I read "When installing different types of M.2 SSDs (including SATA SSDs, PCIe x4 SSDs, and PCIe x2 SSDs) be sure to refer to supported configurations in the tables below. "

Samsung Magician says

Interface
PCIe Gen. 3x4
"Recommended to connect PCIe Gen 4.0 for optimal speed" followed by
" there is no reported compatibility issue "

Which I took to mean Samsung Magician was telling me I had a green light to enable it.
Post magically merged:

Last edited:
Your motherboard is limited to pcie 3.0 x4 on the M.2 socket. The drive is pcie 4.0 x4. This drive will work but is limited in your system as there is nothing you can enable to make 4.0 x4.

Back