• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

weird ball bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liss

i have this bit.. dont' know from where..
its steel.. as far as i can tell..

and its like a ball..
with a stick on it...
it has edges (to cut) all over the ball so it looks like it can cut sideways........

can i use this and a drill press and mill out some channels in some
acrylic?

Sounds like a HSS Dremel bit. One inch shaft, about an eighth-inch diameter? If so, it'll snap under the load of drill press work, and won't last long at Dremel speeds (10,000-30,000rpm) on metal. The cutting edges need to bite, not rub, or it'll burn out.

EDIT: Oh, acrylic. Dremel speeds melt acrylic, but that bit in a drill press would be fine so long as you don't feed the work too forcefully. The side of a normal twist drill (near the root, for strength) would probably work better, though.

Last edited:
does it look like this?

ball_bit.jpg

A normal (cheap) HSS router but will go through acrylic quite happily too (used them quite a few times for that)

yes.. it looks like that Volenti.. but abit bigger..

and i know its not a dremel bit...
so will i be able to make channels in the acrylic/lexan with a drill press?

It’s an etching type of bit, and it will clog up fast your best bet for cutting is a table saw or a jig saw.

Back