• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cost of GPU repair?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

I have a non-functional 1080 Ti K|ngP|n GPU on it's way. I plan to do some troubleshooting and I can do SMD repair, but if it means having to re-ball memory or the core, I have no way of doing this correctly or successfully.

This has me wondering, what is the cost of doing a GPU repair through a company such as Northridge Fix or the like?

Don't know but here is a video from another forum member from a company that does that type of work. I think you'll appreciate seeing it and maybe you can reach out to this comapny for pricing.

I have watched a lot of Northwest Repair videos over the years and it has helped me out in some situations where I am not sure what else to check, or at least giving me an idea of what rhe root cause of a problem is.

I was thinking if my own repair doesn't work, to maybe send it to him, but his website looks like he isn't doing any GTX card repairs anymore.

Bake it!

Joke apart, baking it in the the "tolerated temps" will not hurt and might "re solder" some components.
10 minutes at 280f/195c.
PCB only, remove heatsonk, plastic bits...

Worked for me a few times.

Bake it!

Joke apart, baking it in the the "tolerated temps" will not hurt and might "re solder" some components.
10 minutes at 280f/195c.
PCB only, remove heatsonk, plastic bits...

Worked for me a few times.
I actually revived my first 8800 Ultra this way! It lasted about 8 months before I stopped using it and upgraded to a GTX 280.

In regards to the 1080 Ti KP...

I did diagnostics on the card and found VMEM 1.8v was shorted. After trying voltage injection it failed and I couldn't get any components to heat up to indicate the short. Before unsoldering anything, I reached out to the great members of the northwestrepair discord and they affirmed that it sounded like the VCORE or VMEM power stages were shorted based on the auto shutdown when the card was installed in a motherboard. PEX and the 5V driver for the VCORE and VMEM were fine.

After unsoldering one side of the VMEM power stage inductors, the short went away on the inputs but the outputs were still shorted. I moved to the 1.8v power stage inductor and did the same (lifting one side), and I still have the short on the output, with the input being okay.

The discord confirmed my suspicions of the memory controller being damaged, as this usually happens when the card shorts it's PCI-E 12V inputs. Apparently it's pretty common to happen on 10 series cards in general.

While it could be a shorted memory module, it is extremely unlikely that the chances of the memory controller surviving with shorted memory chips and a 1.8V VMEM power stage short to ground.

I guess I have a nice display card for now, and a parts card for a future 1080 Ti KP acquisition.....

from his discord in the #service-request section

Diagnostic is freeNo Fix=No charge
Parts cost may apply.
$100 for GTX 1080Ti-RX5000 and lower
$150 for RTX 20-30 series and RX6000$300 for RTX 40 series and RX7000
$400 for A6000

Save on shipping cost by sending multiple cards.
Parts are not refundable.

there is another guy on YT, looked on his page, he wants like $280. WTF? i kind of get it after his last video post of not being able to get enough people to get his queue down. his YT page on him doing repairs really upped his repair requests, so he might have jacked it up to not doing video cards. one i get a few things in place i plan to send in 2 cards to NWR.

from his discord in the #service-request section

Diagnostic is freeNo Fix=No charge
Parts cost may apply.
$100 for GTX 1080Ti-RX5000 and lower
$150 for RTX 20-30 series and RX6000$300 for RTX 40 series and RX7000
$400 for A6000

Save on shipping cost by sending multiple cards.
Parts are not refundable.

there is another guy on YT, looked on his page, he wants like $280. WTF? i kind of get it after his last video post of not being able to get enough people to get his queue down. his YT page on him doing repairs really upped his repair requests, so he might have jacked it up to not doing video cards. one i get a few things in place i plan to send in 2 cards to NWR.
NWR is the most reasonable from what I have found, and I admire his diligence to do a thorough job of diagnosing before deeming something as non-repairable (at least that's what he has spoken about and the vibe I get from his videos). He seems to be quite knowledgeable and familiar with the processes that he can work somewhat quickly through repairs. Because of this, I understand why he has such a backlog of repairs and it could take a month or more before you hear back about a diagnosis.

i could not remember the others guys name, i found it
under faq's
Are you accepting GPU repairs?
Yes, we are currently accepting GPU repairs again. Please keep in mind that there is a 50/50 chance of successful repair. Estimated cost to fix these devices ranges from $295-$495.

this is the one i was talking about that has a back log in repairs. as far as i recall, NWR was doing it part time due to having another job. now it seems he does it full time but i could be wrong. i have not watch alot of his videos lately, but he has very reasonable prices vs others. at 295-495 it is not worth trying to get a 2xxx or 3xxx card fixed, imo that is just highway robbery.

Yeah, I noticed NorthridgeFix is doing a ton of 4090s lately. I recall hearing that when CableMod has customer cards repaired, they send them to NorthridgeFix. I like the guy, and his work, but he is VERY expensive to do repairs through. I just watched a video of his that he di a SMD header connector pad repair, where he did a repair for 24 pads at $100 each. It was on a spectrum analyzer board from multi thousand dollar equipment. $2400 is insane for pad repair using wire and traces. I do pad repair all the time and I couldn't imagine charging someone $100 to do it.

Back