• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eheim 1048 vs. maxiket900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liss

alright. currently have a 1048, but i'm thinking i need more flow.. around 250-350 sounds good...
anyways.. i don't know if i should switch to a maxi900... early someone made a thread that said their new 1048 better out their maxi1000...

so idunno.

i will be switching between blocks.

btw: this is only a comparision between the 2.. pleas don't tell me to get some other pump :p

thx

well, methinks you might rather want to look at the maxi 1200 instead. thats a definite step up in gph than the 1048, but be prepared to mess with fittings a bit with the maxi as its outlet is 1/2" and the inlet is 3/4"

To get more GPH you need more HEAD - 1048 has 1.5 meter max head, what is the other pumps max head?

maxi-jet is going to romp on a Eheim pump in most situations. The maxi-jet pump is compact, cheap, powerful, and long lasting. It can withstand dry running well past the point of most other pumps, it can fit in areas that eheims just wont and it's quiet as there are no open moving components. If you submerge it, it's cooled by the water it pumps completely, making sure you are running your pump well within safe limits. If you run it non-submerged the proximity of all the pieces still allows it to be mostly cooled by the water. Eheim's cost is quite high, for what reason i'm not entirely sure. I'm leaning towards the cost of parts to make a reliable pump that's cooled by air like it is. You can buy multiple maxi-jet pumps for the price of one eheim. It's best to buy more than one 900 if you can handle it, as it's much much lower wattage than the 1200 and not as low of a gph rating. I have a 1200 submerged happily sitting inside the 5.25" drive bays (3) to the point of it not being able to be seen even when the case is open.

So why do lots of people use eheims over pumps that likely make more sense to use in a computer (especially small ones)? Because of authority. People say "Yay Eheim, dont worry about the price tag of 70 bucks, it's really good and quiet and super strong!" all along ignoring pumps that are less than half it's size that have roughly the same power at 1/3 of the price and will probably last longer given the same environment.

This isn't a flame against eheim, it's just there are lots of obvious examples of when a different pump would have made much more sense for someone but they got an Eheim due to the authority it has instead of the qualities they should have been looking for in a pump.

im gonna agree with safemode. distributers say eheim! and people buy them i havve seen quite a few posts saying dont go under 300gph its not gonna cool enough when they were using the eheim thats in the middle (i dont know the numbers i dont care for eheim to pricey) but these people just buy the eheim and discard all else. it a marketing thing. buy a maxi 1200 try marine depot. im not sure if anyone mentioned them but if not check it out. also there is a nice article or 2 on the maxi and silencing it after its like 2nd year of use at www.wc101.com jfettig also has some nice forums running there.

I was wondering the same thing myself- eheim or maxijet?

I've had quite a few pumps, all of them were less than satisfactory. Home depot pump- too weak Rio 600- unreliable Mag Drive 7- too hot! Via Aqua- Too loud! (hopefully this can be fixed!)

People buy eheims because its a known good brand. They don't wanna end up like me :D

I have a Maxijet 1200. Its quiet, and its been running rather cool and reliably for about 3 months now 24/7.

It does leak though! The seal around the turning head leaks! I was warned about this problem, and then someone said not to worry..well worry and take steps to fix that little problem before you install.

I havent bothered to take it out yet..just moved it out of the way of my geforce card which got a nice bath. Yea the nice snow/lockup warning i got gave me a scare, but drying/cleaning proved to be enough to save it.

Im so lazy..i dont want to empty and refill it again..so i just use a squirt bottle to refill it daily..and a towel to soak up the leakage.

I like living on the edge.

nats, thas the via, we are talking about maxijet,

anyway, they rule, the only downside to them is not having threade inlets and outlets, or at least an inlet you can fit tubing over...
my box says....
1.74meters

Jon

JFettig said:
nats, thas the via, we are talking about maxijet,
Jon

No thats the Maxijet. And a 1/2" CPVP pipe w/ 1/2" plastic barb will fit perfectly into the inlet of the MJ1200 & and 1/2" tubing slides nicely over the outlet requiring a hoseclamp to seal it.

Had a Maxi Jet 1000 and found out it likes to leak, round the turning head + also through the so called water tight skin surrounding the power cord. be warned! Got myself an Eheim 1048 now and it's quieter than the maxi jet and i personally saw an improvement in temps.

MDA.

I love my maxi Jet 1200. I only wish they made something a bit stronger! SMALL, cool, relativily quiet...CHEAP...can't lose.

I can't hear it over my Panaflo in the PSU, and well insulated you can't even tell it's running.

I also only paid $20 shipped off ebay...check it out, ebaesellers or something like that, they have a store and actually sell these things in two packs. I see no reason in spending ~$6 less to get less GPH.

eheim has been the leader in the fish keeping hobbys for years... there products are known to run for 20 years and better. As I have tanks and puters I try to always find the value / quality curve. At this time I dont own any eheim for puters or tanks.. But I can tell you I am going to buy eheim in the future,, there just isnt anyway around it for keeping fish.. Now for puter pumps Im at a loss.. but when you have lets say a 5k fish tank you really dont want to risk a failure to cheap pumps nor would I think one would want to risk loosing a puter to a cheap pump. I will be putting a water rig togather soon,,, maybe this weekend and will be useing a hagan 402 powerhead in a res. for my first try at it..... only cause its what I have..... but I can see eheim in my future

happy ocing
psy

hagan 402 powerhead

psyshack said:
eheim has been the leader in the fish keeping hobbys for years... there products are known to run for 20 years and better. As I have tanks and puters I try to always find the value / quality curve. At this time I dont own any eheim for puters or tanks.. But I can tell you I am going to buy eheim in the future,, there just isnt anyway around it for keeping fish.. Now for puter pumps Im at a loss.. but when you have lets say a 5k fish tank you really dont want to risk a failure to cheap pumps nor would I think one would want to risk loosing a puter to a cheap pump. I will be putting a water rig togather soon,,, maybe this weekend and will be useing a hagan 402 powerhead in a res. for my first try at it..... only cause its what I have..... but I can see eheim in my future

happy ocing
psy

I've been thinking about using a spare hagen 402 as well and came across this forum what looking up some info on it. So how did that work out for you?

There are plenty of pumps that beat the Eheim if you look only at specs. But, like several people have mentioned, Eheim has a great reputation for being reliable over the long haul. To me, that's worth a lot. My 1048 is very quiet and extremely dependable. It's been humming along flawlessly for two years now. I like the fact that it uses A/C power instead of running off the computer's power supply. Although, for some people that might be a minus. It's a matter of personal preference. As for cooling capacity, my 1048 cools an overclocked Intel dual core 940 quite well, and as most people will tell you, this CPU can run a bit warm.

I have two maxijet 1000's and 3 750's. I guess if someone is interested in one, I can hook you up for dirt. I would only run a maxijet in a enclosed area, as it can eventually leak from the two areas the guy above said.

Back