• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I made a BIG MISTAKE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

josh7485

Well I started running the testin form my WC rig outside my computer when about a hour or 2 into the testing I realized the I was useing a ALUMINUM POT as the resavoir so I quickly switched to a class pot, but using the same disstilled water. I dont have anymoe distilled water at my house, but I could go get some more. My question is do you think in the little time some chemicals and other crap could have got in the dsitilled water and I need to dump it now?

eagle scouter said
The components of a water block are either copper or aluminum, so I don't see how running an aluminum reservoir would cause any problems.

Well every thing else is copper so it might be

No worries mate. Just flush it a little with some more distilled water and you're good to go. Two hours of running a system with mismatched metal components will have negligible to absolutely NO negative effect.

Definately not a BIG mistake, hardly qualifies as a mistake at all to tell the truth. $1.00 for a gallon of water is the type of mistake you want if you're going to have a mistake.

People run aluminum radiators with copper blocks for many months at a time without seeing any negative effect. Same for tap water, although I don't recommend it.

Typically if a block is of aluminum and copper construction then the aluminum portion is anodized to prevent corrosion.

Back