• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8rda+ and Volcano Slimline 8 + TBred2100+OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Procharger

Combined with a descent Powersupply (suggestions accepted) how will this combinatin overclock if at all?

I'm a newby here so forgive any ignorance shown. I do have a flamesuit ready :p

very hard to say.... what kind of ram you using? and also what do you plan to OC to? FSB or just cpu mhz?

I wrote this in a bit of a rush while too curious to let it go until I had more time. So here's a list from one of my other recent posts.

Well here's an updated list:

Motherboard - 8rda+ $89
Thermaltake Volcano 8 SE $16
AMD Athlon Processor 2100+ $95
Shipping $11.78
The above was a combo:

48X24X48 Polaroid CD Writer approx $15 after tax and rebate
Crucial PC2100 DDR Memory approx $35 after tax and rebate
60GB Maxtor ATA133 approx $69 after tax and rebate
Case and Power Supply $Still shopping
Video Card $Still shopping
Windows XP $Free
Monitor, Mouse, and Keyboard $Already Have

I'm actually interested in whether I got a good enough CPU cooler or not. I tried to read up on it after I purchased it but couldn't find a whole lot. If anyone can fill me in it would be appreciated.(I wanted the slk-7 but they didn't have it and the guy recommended this one as good enough but I'm guessing marginal)

As far as overclocking goes I'll be happy getting over 2 GHZ but whatever is safe for a newby to try I'll try it.

Everything looks ok, but I wouldnt go with PC2100, that will be the limiting factor in a big way.

PSU, get a decent 350 or 400w with good specs.

like jconforti said, PC2100 DDR probably will hold you back. Try to get Twinmos w/ Twinmos Chip PC3200 DDR. It is only $59 @ memoryx.

Sparkle 400W PSU is pretty good and only $60+ @ newegg (it got pots so you can adjust your 5v/12v rail).

ATI 9500 is not bad. Use the software mod to make it like a ATI 9700 and 9500 cost about $150.'

check http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/ for heatsink ranks.

Well I'm guessing I made a mistake with the Volcano 8 as its specs look to be horrible compared to the Volcano 7 and Volcano 9. I guess the sales guy didn't know much better than me or he wanted to get rid of the 8s :(.

I like the 9500 so I'll probably look into that one maybe after the fx comes out.

I'll check out those power supplies I think I planned on saving money there but now I'm not so sure it would be wise if I want good performance.

probably better.... a few month ago tom's hardware did 22 psu tests.. and sparkle 350w came out in the top 3 psu I think....

Bringing this back from the dead but thanks for the info on the Sparkle as I read up on it and bought the 400w from new egg for $63 or so. I haven't gotten all my parts so I can't tell you about the PC yet.

Thanks

EluSiOn said:
probably better.... a few month ago tom's hardware did 22 psu tests.. and sparkle 350w came out in the top 3 psu I think....

link? i have the 350 but i cannot find this article...

Back