• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just did the vdd mod!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jconforti

Banned
I bought a pack of the 680 ohm Resistors and brought them home and thought about it, and thought about it, and thought some more, trying to work up the nerve.

Well, every time I looked at my vdd in the bios, it was showing at 1.56, which is the lower side from what i understand (range is from 1.55 to 1.66) stock.

So I bit the bullet, tore the case open and went to work. Not as bad as I thought. Tedious, and you tend to hold your breath alot!

But I fired it up and there it was, 1.82v.

whew!

Did you solder or use those little 'grabber' things? I plan on using them, if I require it, I can only hope. Is there a difference in the end result? And yes, where are your numbers now?

Right now I am still at 12 x 190fsb and stable.

My DDR is Kingston Hyperx pc3000, so, I dont know how much higher I can or should try pushing the DDR speed. Its rated at 370, I am running it in sync with the CPU at 380. i may go to the HyperX PC3500, or Twinmos 3200.

The VDD mod isnt that tough. What I did was use two peices of wire (same guage as a fan wire), and "tinned" the ends with solder first. By that I mean I pre-coated the wire ends with some silver solder (NOT too much). Then, carefully postion the wire on the terminal on the chip and touch the point of the soldering pen to the wire. This heats the wire and the terminal, the solder on each momentarily liquifys, and they join. Then solder the resistor to the wires. I used heatshrink tubing to cover the resistor to prevent shorting.

Nice man. I just did the mod this morning with the grabbers. Very nerve racking firing it up that first time. Since I'm running a Prometia I had to wait even longer before the temps dropped to -33°C before it came up. Immediately went to pc health and there was 1.85v in the vdd reading :D

I'm running Prime95 at 13x200 right now. Seems to require quite a bit more vcore (@ 1.925 now). Just for grins I tried 205-210fsb on lower mults and it seems to really run into instability around 210. What's a safe max for vdd? Is 1.9 reasonable or is that pushing it?

Can you tell me if this guy's resistor is actually "sitting" on something important on the mobo at the bottom right? Or is the only purpose to add resistance to those two pins on the top left?

8rda_vdd_chip_mod.jpg

Back