• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-7ZX problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Airplanebuilder

Just recently ran across a problem on a friends computer. It's a GA-7zx, AMD 800 T-bird, 256 meg ram, ATI 32 mb AGP Radeon7000, WD 30 GB hdd.

(Please forgive me if I use the wrong term here... I believe that "post" is when you turn the power on, and it starts to boot, at least to the point where you can enter into the bios, please let me know if incorrect)

Computer has run reasonably trouble free for a long time, but she's been getting a lot of problems in the last week or 2. When I looked at it, turned it on, it booted fine, ran for 10 minutes, then locked up. With a reboot, (both reset and killing power) it wouldn't even post. No video card name flash, no memory count, no blinking cursor, nothing.

Reboot again, and it boots part way, then freezes with a flashing cursor. Have tried the chip on my Soyo board, and it seemed to work with no problems, but didn't run it for too long, maybe just half an hour. Other times, it says that there's an error writing to the hdd. Get any and all of these errors depending on what day it is, what time it is, and which way the wind blows.

Since it won't even post (SOMETIMES... others it boots just fine, and runs for hours), does that mean that the board is dying? I thought maybe it was the battery on the m/b, because the clock kept resetting, but that shouldn't stop it from posting, shoud it? And, if it WAS a hdd error, it should at least let me get to the bios. Memory maybe? But that would give some sort of error beep, wouldn't it?

Kind of at a loss here.... not ALL that knowledgable about hardware, just enough to get myself into trouble. On limited funds too, so don't want to just start replacing till we get it fixed.

Back