• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8INXP over 180Mhz ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

musk

Anyone have any luck over 180mhz FSB in dual channel mode. I have a killer P4 2.4b that will go to 200mhz but I am failing.

2X256mb OCZ PC3500 dual ch EL

I also relaxed the timings to 2.5,7,3,3 but can only get to about 183mhz.

In single channel mode i can get to 200mhz but again I have to relax the timings back to 2.5,7,3,3.

Thanks

musk

I've been inching my way up slowly.Currently @193 on my 2.4b watercooled.I think it has a little bit left.1.58vcore 2.7vdimm 1.7agp 512 xms 3500c2 2 6 2 2

I'm having trouble getting over 180MHz on my 8INXP as well. I have Kingston HyperX PC3000 memory and tried 185MHz Started with MemTest with memory set too 2,6,3,3 with mem at 2.7V and it would pass the first round of tests, but would almost immediately fail when it starts the second round of tests. I usually test stability first in MemTest before booting to Windows, if it could pass 3 tests then it should be fine to get into Windows, but I always fail after the first set. I doubt it is my CPU since a bad CPU usually gives errors as soon as MemTest starts.

Isn't Blue078 running at 185 or 190 with his 8INXP and a 2.53 SL6S2. I just go my SL6S2 yesterday and I ordered some XMS 3200. My Samsung craps out at 165, so once I get my new mem I'll be pushing mine. I'll let you know how it goes.

Skeetman

i have 8inxp with 2.4b but it crush in boot process...and thats @166 Mhz !!! tell me guys is there a posibility to crash because of raid controller...i use 2 matxor ata133 in raid mode 0.

There are a lot of possibilities that would cause you to crash at 166 FSB. It could be your CPU, memory, power supply.... The list is very long. I haven't heard of a raid controller causing crash problems, but I suppose it is possible.

You will have to give us more info about your system if you want help.

Skeetman

skeetman

Let me know how that corsair goes. Have seen best results posted using that mem. VRZones review had some issues mit Geil and OCZ.

"Firstly, with 2 x 256MB Corsair XMS 2700 (Samsung TCB-0), we managed to obtain an FSB of 168MHz at Timings 2,5,2,2 which happens to be the CPU limit at 1.85V. With 2 x 512MB PC3200 (one from GEIL the other from OCZ both Winbond BH-X) we could also obtain 168FSB but with timings of 2,5,2,3. This is most likely attributed to the different memory chips. Both OCZ and GEIL rated their RAMs at 2.5,3,3 anyways but we tried to see if the lower frequency of which the RAM ran in would help but it didn't. The last combination was both the 256MB modules and 512MB modules. This would run fine ONLY if you press ESC to skip the RAM tests. I have no idea why this happened but it did run fine in windows completing benches and with the timings of 2,5,2,3 too. So perhaps a BIOs issue and perhaps a Board issue and it could also be the chipset though I'm speculating more towards the BIOs and Board." - Visionary & RiStaR

Is this ok to do.(above)?

Musk,

I'll definitley let you know how it goes with the corsair. I ordered the twin pack low latency stuff. I hope to hit 190, but no one I know of has done this prime stable on an INXP, so it is probably just a dream. I'll be very, very happy with 185, and 180 would still kick butt.

PS: I don't know if it is okay to quote reviews like you did, but I don't see why it wouldn't be. You did cite your source, so you are not claiming it as your writing.

Skeetman

Musk,

Looks like this memory is doing well. Just got my Twin Pack of XMS 3200 LL today. Right now I am running FSB @ 180 and CPU 3.435 on 1.55 Volts. I got my SL6S2 L248 from my local Fry's here in Portland on Friday. Got some Nice Sandra benches so far. I still haven't had to touch vCore. 1.55 is the lowest I can get 8INXP. The new memory is running well at 2-6-2-2, because I want to see how far the chip will go first. Then I'll try 2522. My temps while running Prime95 is 51~53.

I am very happy so far with my new chip and new memory. I will continue to push this rig and see how she'll do.

Skeetman

Well, hears an update.

Very interesting. I can get to 181 FSB on default voltage Prime stable. But I can't even boot into windows at 182 or greater with any voltage! Just get continuous re-boots. WTF! This must be a bios issue.

How could it be so stable at one speed and then not boot any higher at any voltage?

Skeetman

Well after some more playing around I was able to boot into windows at 184. I had to relax my memory timings to 2.5-7-3-3. But even then it was not prime stable. Got a reboot at some point.

Oh well, I'm back to 181 FSB at 2-6-2-2 for now. This setting ran Prime for 26 hours so I'm counting that stable!:)

My next step will probably be to try a new bios. I'm still using the original F3 that came with my board.

Skeetman

Wierd eh!

Skeetman,

Sounds like the same thing that happened to me. I have been digging around some more and heres what I have found.

I have tried the next bios F4 and it did not help. I have also read that the GB chipset does not like double sided memory. I cant test this as I have none.

I am hoping a bios will come out to fix this or it looks like 8KNXP or the like for me.

I am going to rebuild my rig today and see what else I can discover.

musk

No go. Will not go over 180mhz. Skeetman is burning me by 1mhz.

musk

Crazy!

So I just bought some generic PC2700 2x512mb and I can boot @ 182mhz bus using SPD. I was not able to get that high with any timings using the OCZ. The generic is running better sandra bandwidth scores too.

WTF.

Musk,

That is crazy. Is your new memory single sided? Maybe it does something to do with the limited OC, I dunno. My old samsung PC2700 DTM memory was single sided and it wouldn't even run at 166 on my board. Highest I could get with it was 164 prime stable. Maybe the memory controller just can't hack it.

I don't know why some asus GB boards are getting 190 FSB while we are stuck at 180. It doesn't make any sense to me. Isn't the memory controller the same on all GB boards?

I'm still happy with my board. It is rock stable, but it is weird that it just runs into a wall at a certain speed. Thats what makes me think it is a BIOS issue.

Skeetman

Not Single sided

Skeetman,

This memory is not single sided. It is generic(infineon) double sided cas 2.5 RAM. I paid $150 canadian for 2x512mb. Cheap eh!

The memory controller is the same however the implementation, BIOS etc are factors. I am hoping a BIOS update will aleviate this. I have not contacted GByte and maybe I should. Are they giving O'cers any respect yet?

PS - now I'm burning you by 1Mhz

:)

Last edited:
Corsair to the rescue?

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I just got some Corsair TwinX512-PC3200LLPT

Now priming @ 185Mhz FSB

Says alot for OCZ in my opinion. :confused:

I have it @ 2,2,2,6 vdimm 2.7v

Funny, just wrote to Gigabyte too. Oh well give me a new bios anyways.

happy @ 185Mhz :)

musk

Re: Corsair to the rescue?

Good Job Musk:D :D :D Now your getting me by 4 MHz:mad: ;)

You must tell me your secrets. I have the same memory as you and I'm still stuck at 181. How do you have your BIOS set up? Did you do anything differently, or just put in the new XMS and up the FSB?

Maybe my board just has hit its limit, but I would love to see if a new BIOS could resolve some issues.

Skeetman

Last edited:
Back