• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advantages of changing pci/agp lock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amino

I know this has been posted somewhere else, but pci and agp are 3 letter words and the search engine won't let you search for anything below 4 letters.

So I was wondering, does anyone know of any advantages to raising your pci/agp frequencies? I just read someone's post about how it can help with OCing the videocard, but might lead to disaster...

Any thoughts?

Not entirely true, increasing the PCI bus does help performance a little. But, you don't want to run the PCI bus too far out of spec or you'll have instability, plus run the risk of data corruption like Brother Nitro says. A little is good... a lot is bad. How much is too much? It depends on your system and your components, but generally you don't wanna run too much over 38 MHz on the PCI bus. I've never been able to keep a system stable at 40 or above PCI bus.

Amino said:
Does it help with overclocking your video card?

And would you say 37 was good?
yes and no,with my vid i have noticed the higher my agp speed the lower i can overclock my vid card cause the buss is doing so,at 66/33 i can overlock the card higher,still rasing the pci/agp is doing more harm then benifiting

That's right... I noticed that on my old P-III system too... the higher the PCI/AGP bus was, the less I could overclock my vid card. Speaking of my old P-III, I ran the PCI bus on system at 37.5 MHZ for 1-1/2 years.

Last edited:
I have to say personally I have notice a slight gain. Even on old systems, they just feelt more perky when using the computer in general.
The agp I found gave me a couple of extra points in 3dmark01se, not much though. You might wanna give it a few extra volts on the agp selector in the bios(if board supports it) when going passed 66mhz, this may help promote stability.
With the pci I have noticed that the hard drives perform alot better. Im can't be 100% sure about the rest of the devices on the pci bus, I would think that surely these would get a boost too. More bandwidth/faster transfer rate, add for smoother running system.
In todays enviroment with alsorts of powerful add in devices that all have to go through the pci bus, every bit helps. When your overclocking to maximise your performance, you overclock everything you can. Otherwise play it safe at 33.

Heres a test using hdtach using a 16k stripe size I carried out on my sata raid:

pci 33mhz:

min read- 5364 *** max read- 79074 *** ave read- 51757

pci 37mhz:

min read- 13151 *** max read- 82187 *** ave read- 56468

Back