• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1090T x6 Core Overclock Guide/ (4.0ghz)(50$ cooler)(max 45C)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jurugi

*** skip down to the next *** if you want to see just the overclocking settings/results

Hey guys, it has been a while since I posted here. My last post seems to be when I had an AMD dual core processor which was quite a while ago. I've been running smoothly with a 940BE lately with the stock fan, but I decided it was time for a cheap upgrade - a 1100T (& H60 cooler, my first custom or good cooling ever).

Actually, I picked up a 1090T and I will explain why. I had a budget <150$, and I like the cheap and efficient route rather than the over-priced future proofing route (i.e. Intel). The 1090T (3.2ghz) has about a 40-50$ price gap to the 1100T(3.3ghz). See the difference? You can pretty much overclock +0.1ghz without changing anything at all and get 50$ for free. So I picked up a H60 liquid cooler and got a deal on a used 1090T for about 90$. Needless to say, I planned to overclock a lot more than .1ghz. In total this upgrade was only 140$ and was way worth it because the overclocking is amazing. :mad:

* Overclock at 4.0ghz on 1090T

First of all, unless you want to be running at 4.0ghz and high voltages constantly, you want to turn on TurboCore/FCB in the bios. It should be on by default. This is the same as Intel's turbo boost (a little less efficient, but the money gap for buying an Intel is overrated). This will basically throttle your cores based on what you are doing. P0 is the throttle state (set to 3.6ghz for this processor), P1 is the performance state, which is the state your cores will be set to while benchmarking/gaming. P2 and below are low performance states which will preserve your CPU's life almost indefinitely by letting it cool down to underclocked voltages and values.

The only reason I say this is that I've already read that overclockers tend to just set it on performance mode, turn off TurboCore and run their cpu constantly at the max voltage/rate. This is not really efficient at all and will decrease your cpu's lifespan if you're throttling at max all the time and never cooling down. Anyway, now that that's out of the way.

You will want to download PhenomMSRTweaker, (an official alternative is AMD Overdrive).

Note: If you have 64 bit operating system then pick x64 installer, otherwise use the x86 installer for 32bit.

Either program you use is going to show you the multiple P states, multipliers, CPU Voltage(VID) and NB Voltage(VID).

As stated above, the P0 is Turbo Core, set to 3.6ghz. If you disabled Turbo core and set it to performance, it should be constantly at P1(default 3.2ghz) even when just idling on windows or web browsing. That is your choice if you want constant high voltage, max temp, and fast throttling even when you are not utilizing even 1% of each core. Otherwise, while gaming/under load, all cores will change to P1 and the cores with the most load will boost to P0 randomly. 3.6ghz is already fairly good, but you are looking to overclock and this is not a constant state.

*** Results / Settings for overclock
Anyway, these are my settings/results. For testing and stability purposes, I set P1 to 4.0ghz settings and left on Prime95 for about 2 hours. The max temp was 45C and the system was fully stable under the 100% load. Obviously you'll never anywhere get those conditions while gaming, so if you can do that it's very safe.

Alternative Link

Do not touch the NB VID setting!
(unless you know what you are doing and maybe tweaking with ram settings)

These are the settings you should use for stability. I tested with older 800 DDR2 ram and newer 1333 DDR2 ram without any issue. Obviousl the 1333 ram runs faster. Ram tends to be a neglected factor. If you still have 800mhz DDR2 ram it could be bottlenecking your system. Just to say, it works with older ram frequencies & good Ram is just as important as a CPU/GPU in my opinion.
This should just show you that you can do it, but I personally set my P1 to 3.6ghz and my P0 to 4.0ghz to allow slightly lower voltages while gaming & to be safe.

You can set the P1 setting to like 1.45V, 20x to achieve constant 4.0ghz and try to get slightly higher turbo boost rates (P0) as well.

NOTE: If using PhenomMSRTweaker, Make sure you go to Service -> Press Update/Refresh -> Checkmark Make Custom-pStates Permanent. AMD OverDrive will probably has a similar setting.

**** Final thoughts /
If you have a stock air-fan and/or are getting too high temperatures while testing with this, you will want to get any kind of better cooling. 60C should be the max temp at 100% stresstesting but it won't explode your cpu if you are a little higher than this. The Corsair H60 was great for 40$ and if 'refurbished' then it pretty much means 'new, cheaper, and problems fixed'. I've never had an issue with any refurbished product. Just apply a thin good layer of thermal paste and the cpu should be running at 20C idle and about 30C while gaming. Anyway hopefully this is helpful.

Thuban processors are a really good overclocker when cooled. This is a great upgrade for the <150$ range if you have a really older phenomII and don't want to spend much money. Anyway, thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 1090_TSettings.png
    1090_TSettings.png
    846.9 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Nice work Jurugi, looks like you got a decent 1090T. I'd just like to say that some will barely run 4.0 with 1.5v. It all depends on the CPU you have been dealt. I've been lucky with the 2 samples I've had both were good clockers. We also encourage posters to use the power savings after the OC has been completed and tested, that's a good point you made.

I am not sure the power savings overall but the voltages are posted. :)

I just meant things like Cool&Quiet, Cstates etc, that allow the CPU to cycle up and down within the OS. It's always a good idea to turn them back on when the OC is done so that your CPU can idle at low frequency/voltage when not under load.

I feel a need to add that restoring the power saving and c state stuff after over clocking is complete will sometimes reintroduce instability. This has been my experience personally. That was the main reason we used to tell people to disable them it seems to me. And the concern that not doing so will shorten component life seems to me to be a straw man. Very few of us overclockers hanget onto a rig long enough to actually realize that shortened life span as long as voltages are within reason and there is good cooling.

Jurugi, could you host the screen shot using the inforum tool. That way if and when someone finds this thread while searching the net the picture will always be there. Just go to advanced posting and click the paper clip.
Capture2.PNG

I feel a need to add that restoring the power saving and c state stuff after over clocking is complete will sometimes reintroduce instability. This has been my experience personally. That was the main reason we used to tell people to disable them it seems to me.

REenabling power saving should not bring about instability if the mobo is good and care is taken in verifying an overclock condition. Where many people have problems in using 'green' ideas along with an overclock is that the instant in time when the cpu must leave a lower cpu speed and jump to a much higher speed which needs more Vcore is hampered by slow acting VRMs on the mobo that do not get to the higher Vcore for higher speeds, quickly enough. But that condition should not repeat itself once the cpu is loaded with work to do or a stress test to run and complete.

Now to have green stuff on and a load is already on the cpu and the speed of cpu has risen, there is no reason for any greater faiure with the green stuff on except that the amount of Offset Vcore is too low and was overlooked in the stability verification process when not using green stuff to idle the cpu back down when unloaded.

I have greened an FX-8120 from 4.5Ghz down to 1.4Ghz and back and forth without issue. I have greened an FX-8350 from 4.8Ghz down to 1.64Gh and back and forth without issue. I have greened a different FX-8350 cpu from 4.6Ghz down to 1.64Ghz and back and forth without issue. Now I will admit these results are all done while using an Asus CHV non-Z and Z boards. They are noted for having very good VRM circuitry and are pretty adjustable as relates to CPU_LLC.

I more or less despised the idea of overclocking and greening in the same sentence. Did for years. Today after nearly 2 years of overclocking these hot FX 8 core cpus and now having the cpu speed and Vcore reduced when just surfing the net and writing posts like this in a forum; i have slightly fuzzy feeling I am at 1.64Ghz (0.996Vcore) and HWMonitor showing a very low temp, but yet I can decide it is time to edit some Pre-Christmas videos and have this rig jump to 4.6Ghz (1.41Vcore) with its' 8 cores reporting and ready for duty.

No I have not nor do I plan to see what energy I might be saving. Got to be some, right? It is the very logic of the idea that speaks for itself. Why run wide open when not needed? I had the equipment to run green stuff and I tweaked the system to the nth degree so that I knew what was needed under load and then just meshed the two ideas together. Speed when I am in need but I am not in need 24/7. The better of two worlds to my mind and likely will remain so for me from now own.
RGone...ster.

Last edited:
I personally don't feel the need for the c states and energy saving stuff. I disable it running stock or not. If I am not using the computer or aren't going to be using it in the near future it's off.

I also notice some funkyness when ramping up speed from a low power stare to work on some thing

I also notice some funkyness when ramping up speed from a low power stare to work on some thing

That can happen on some systems and is absolutely and most certainly tweaked completely out of happening with my system, but it did not happen just by itself and I also believe the particular motherboard in use has been a great help in getting away from any ramp up oddness.

I check this forum often and with the death in family, need to look at emails far more regular than previously so I don't feel like starting my computer 16 or 17 times a day now. I just touch the space bar and pull my chair back, sit and go to work. Nice feeling to be able to do so currently. YMMV.
RGone...ster.

Back