• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

direct-die phase change?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

four4875

im gonna have a custom block milled soon, and its gonna be direct die for sure. im just wantin to know, should it be phase change or water. im wantin phase change, but if its bad for the die or somethin, i wont. i dont see why it would be bad, but then again i AM new to phase change and all... ( iknow the general concepts and the ideas and stuff)

BTW, if i do go with phase change, i'll run the capilary and the gas tubes into a T right at the block, the T facin straight, and the capilart goin straight in jetting on the core. then the hot gas will go up the T and out the side barb thingy. make sence to yall, and what do you think. thanks.

i know that it has to be permanantly epoxied, and im worried that the epoxy wouldnt stand up to the cold, and would leak. and then i would have cooland sprayin into my room, and the compressor would run dry.. im just wonderin if anyone has factual info on the CPU not likin it.

let me guess...you suddenly realized that direct die didn't mean u HAD to have the cpu die touching the coolant?....well i would think for phase change that would be a bit out of the question...it would be harder to implement than water and you would have to count on the fact that the core wouldnt react with the refridgerant....also it would have to be a perfect fit and as tight as possible.

I havent seen a epoxy that will stand the pressure and temperature that you will need. Just use a maze block or make your own. Use silver solder or copper braze to resolder a maze or when making your own block.

a lot has been said on diderct to die phase change, and the general consensus is it wont work, about the closest your gonna get is direct 2 die with a good chiller for teh water.

Direct die phase change does not mean the refrigerant is coming in to contact with the core.It means that the evaporator is directly on the die.
The direct die your thinking about will not work with refrigeration unless your cpu can take over 100psi.
Need to get your terms straight. ;)

well the coolant aint comin in direct contact with the die, so to me it aint direct die. why dont we call the common everyday water cooling direct die, caud the block it directly on the die? the common term is just messed up....

aenigma said:
Direct die phase change does not mean the refrigerant is coming in to contact with the core.It means that the evaporator is directly on the die.

Need to get your terms straight. ;)

actually having the evaporator block on the CPU is the only kind of pase change CPU cooling being done now, and is not referred to as direct to die, simply "phase change cooling". everything else is A/C and water chilling or a combo of both.

I would have to agree that it should only be called D2D if the actual coolant is in contact with the CPU core

Or we could call "direct die" core impingement cooling. ;)
The term is a bit misleading, but it kind of stuck.Refrigeration terms are much differant than watercooling, it is obvious when using a refrigeration system that the refrigerant is not going to come into contact with the cpu.So there should be no confusion.

Back