• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Struggling with AOpen MX64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

olannor

I am trying to overclock my MX64 based PIII system (see full specs in the signature field). AOpen claim this is a jumperless board and recommend a maximum FSB increase up to 160MHz (from 133MHz). However, BIOS does not allow me to change FSB frequency at all, even though colourcoding suggests that it's adjustable. It only allows me to change the multiplier. Moreover, when I first checked out the multiplier setting it was 4, giving 4*133MHz=533MHz (when the processor is meant to be a 733MHz). So, I downloaded Sandra 2003SE to do benchmarking and diagnostics as well as AOpen propriatory monitoring soft like AOpen AOConfig.

I changed the multiplier to 5.5 to give me the speed declared by the manufacturer (5.5*133MHz=733Mhz), but when I benchmarked the processor's arithmetic and multimedia performance the results were actually slightly worse than before I increased the multiplier!!!

If that were not enough, while Sandra says that my processor speed is 5.5*133Mhz=733Mhz, AOConfig claims that it is 7.5*100Mhz=733Mhz!!! I don't know who to believe! Is my FSB 133Mhz or 100MHz?!

Further increases in multiplier yield no benchmark gains whatsoever. Not only that, but Sandra continues to claim that my multiplier is 5.5 even when BIOS says it's 6.5 - total confusion :eek: !

I would be very grateful if you could help me in understanding any of the following:
1) Why does increasing processor speed in BIOS lead to no benchmarking improvements? And therefore is the processor speed REALLY increased or is it just some kind of "feel-good" setting?
2) Why do I get two different readings of my FSB frequency and which reading can I trust?
3) How do I increase the FSB frequency up to 160MHz (or should I address this question to AOpen)?

Cheers!

Back