• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU unstable no matter what I do, and it's getting worse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not the right doctor for this problem, lol. My default response is, respectfully, to get over it and use that PC. Stop making up metrics, get reasonable RAM (speed, like under DDR5-7000) on the QVL, set XMP and enjoy that machine you spent good $ on. :)
I have severe anxiety issues and stress testing the PC is meant to allay my personal stress. So you were quite on the mark to say you aren't the doctor I need.

Unfortunately, that isn't the only think you were right about. You're also 100% correct that I should have stopped testing just used the thing because in the process of stress testing, I've degraded it to the point that I need 1.45Vcore to get it to run with at stock and it still crashes. And I did drop the RAM down further, well past the point at which I confirmed the IMC could handle it. It seems the Ring has been fried. It seems running MPrime, Linpack, and repeatedly compiling the Linux kernel with the CPU power set to 500W and the current at 360A is a bad idea. Who knew?

This was a very expensive learning experience, one I could have avoid had I just listened to you.
Why... did you buy this machine? :)

I want to train Sky Net @_@

I built this computer because my current one is starting to exhibit hardware issues. Such as half the motherboard is completely dead. The current PC is showing its age, too, and I was hoping for something that would last another 7–10 years. More critically, I don't think the next Final Fantasy XIV expansion will run on my current rig.

Last edited:
What have you been doing here the past 14 years?! :p

If it's nkt stable at stock, rma the cpu for another. No need to throw it in the gutter!
I already RMA'ed it once, and this is solidly on me. I'll see if I can find some speed at which this will run stable with sane voltages (and amperage). Even if that isn't stock, it's better than buying a new CPU.

As for what I've been doing for the last 11 years, I've been happily sitting on a well turned, if ancient, i7-E. 😅

Back then, the failure modes were different and I only needed to worry about voltage. Or at least that's what it was like for me. Had I tried doing what I did to my new CPU to my current one, it would have simply not worked. Pouring that much power into it wasn't an option. And I didn't need to push a ton of power into it to hit the advertised speeds. At max load, the thing uses about 100W. Though I did wrap my head around the notion that things have changed and hitting max advertised speeds with sane power settings is no longer realistic, I did assume that Intel wouldn't make a chip that required unsafe power settings to hit those speeds. Clearly, I was wrong. Lesson learned.

By the way, the "who knew" was sarcasm.

Last edited:
The current PC is showing its age, too, and I was hoping for something that would last another 7–10 years. More critically, I don't think the next Final Fantasy XIV expansion will run on my current rig.
It looks like the latest expected minimum requirements are an i7 6700. 4930k probably has the overall performance, but XIV historically hasn't been the best at core scaling, and at times still relies on single thread performance. With the graphical update it remains to be seen if that changes. If they make it scale better with threads you could still be ok. We get the stand alone benchmark before release so that could give an indication.

More critically, I don't think the next Final Fantasy XIV expansion will run on my current rig.
They just updated the minimum requirements earlier today. It is now Intel 7700. Was previous shown as 6700 and even 6600 further back. Compared to the 6700, the 7700 is 200 MHz bump in base and boost clock.

1711217607691.png

Oh, early access June 28. They were looking a week earlier but didn't want to clash with Elden Ring DLC.

Edit: reasons given include they noticed some interaction between some CPUs and GPUs, and also Skylake-S is no longer supported on Windows 11. This probably is a classic case of older could work, but they're not going to help you if you find problems with it.

Last edited:
Back